2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Blending old and new drywall??

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MCMC 
#1 ·
Well i have researched too long, and am hoping someone here can help me out. I have to replace two feet of sheetrock throughout the house and the bids I have been getting are pretty dang high. My question is, once I have new drywall up, how do I prepare to blend it with the existing stuff? Do I sand the texture off the adjoining piece to a certain point? Any help is greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
We did extensive house rebuild a few years ago. Had sections of Sheetrock replaced adjacent to original stuff. I think he sanded the edge of the original stuff must a bit to knock texture down before tape and float. Really depends on how rough your texture is. The art is matching texture.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Your best option for a seamless appearance is to knock off all the existing texture and when every joint is taped and floated retexture the entire house. Remember with joint compound it is not how much apply, its how little you end up needing to sand off..

I.E 4 floating sessions is much better that sanding and having dust all over!!!

John

#8 ·
I think the best way and what was done as a result of Katrina was to skim coat the entire wall to soften the texture and blend. Once dry texture the entire wall. I worked for Graco so the choice was to spray (basically paint) the wall with thinned mud, let it dry, then texture the entire wall. You can hand apply or better yet, roll the mud but spray is so fast and consistent and requires very little sanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.