Wrapping brisket question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
Leo
Registered Users-pm+

Leo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to Pirate
Wrapping brisket question

I've been wrapping in foil forever with good results. Decided to get a roll of butcher paper and give it a go. Like most, the meat is cooked fat side up so the question is when you wrap, do you leave the fat on top or flip it so the meat doesn't soak in the fat? I have always flipped it so what do the pro's here do?
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
TIMBOv2
Banned

TIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I've been wrapping in foil forever with good results. Decided to get a roll of butcher paper and give it a go. Like most, the meat is cooked fat side up so the question is when you wrap, do you leave the fat on top or flip it so the meat doesn't soak in the fat? I have always flipped it so what do the pro's here do?
Do it like you normally do it. That way you will know if it was paper that made any difference. Don't change to much at once as you will not know what made it better or worse..
TIMBOv2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
StinkBait
Registered Users-pm+

StinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to PirateStinkBait has been promoted to Pirate
I don't pay much attention to it. I wrap in paper and just put it back on, doesn't seem to affect it. But Timbo has a good idea also if you are super serious and like to have as much control as possible.
StinkBait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Like most, meat is cooked fat side up? Not sure about the "most" part.

If you wrap with fat side up, then, you will lose your bark. I assume you are doing butcher paper so you will have a better bark?
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
tpool
Registered Users-pm+

tpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishtx View Post
Like most, meat is cooked fat side up? Not sure about the "most" part.

If you wrap with fat side up, then, you will lose your bark. I assume you are doing butcher paper so you will have a better bark?
Winner!

I agree - bark will get mushy or lose almost completely being down (fat side up)...

T-BONE
(tpool)
tpool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Whether you wrap in paper or foil, the best way to deal with the bark is to put the brisket back on the hot end of the pit for 20 minutes or so and let the bark re-set. It will firm back up whether you wrap fat side up or down, so long as you don't scrape it all off.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
Leo
Registered Users-pm+

Leo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to PirateLeo has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks gents
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
hook'n'em
76-37-5

hook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Pirate
Totally agree, fat side down to preserve the bark.
hook'n'em is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
Tfbtomcat
Tfbtomcat

Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Tfbtomcat has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
After you wrap it is 100% fat side down. If not, just use foil.

Of course I cook my brisket fat side down the entire time.
Tfbtomcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfbtomcat View Post
After you wrap it is 100% fat side down. If not, just use foil.

Of course I cook my brisket fat side down the entire time.
Exactly!
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message