Braid basics - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
atcNick
Dont eat before wading a remote area!

atcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to Pirate
Braid basics

I've never used braid, only mono. Why use braid? What do I need to know? i think I remember reading that you had to use a different kind of spool.
atcNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
atcNick

atcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to Pirate
Here's another question I have about braid after doing a little more reading. How much mono backing do you put on the real before you put on the braid?

What size mono do you put on? Just wahtever size is recommended for the spool or what?

Any specific hardware/swivel etc differences from mono?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
clint623
Stone cold country by the grace of God

clint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirateclint623 has been promoted to Pirate
I didn't put any mono backing on. (not sure if it really does anything) I've always heard to use mono or flouro for a leader though. If you go to my thread you'll see quite a few suggestions from reputable guys.
clint623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
flatsmaster14
Registered Users-pm+

flatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirate
I really don't put much mono on at all, really just use it to tie the braid to cause it slips when you try to spool it. If you like mono or floro keep using it, I use 50/30 pound fins or pp. after you use braid for a day and go back to mono it will feel like your fishing with a rubber band!!!
flatsmaster14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
atcNick

Thanks. I've heard that braid damages the rod guides. Any truth to that?

-Nick
Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Poon Chaser
DOINK

Poon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to PiratePoon Chaser has been promoted to Pirate
I have not seen any rod guide damge after years of use. I would recomend starting with a larger diameter like 40-50#. I use 20-30# and it took a while to avoid back lashes. the smaller diameter braids will cut into itself easier and those backlashes are game ender requiring the pliers to come out.

start off with easy casts and use your thumb. I dont use any backing but do use a flouro leader tied with an albright. if you have a dedicated topwater rod or fishing up in the water colum... us mono leader as it floats better than the flouro.

I think you will find the braid MUCH more sensitive.

good luck. Oh... I like the Stren Sonic braid.
Poon Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
seabo
Registered Users-pm+

seabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirateseabo has been promoted to Pirate
braid , smaller dia more # test =more line on reel+no memory not much stretch, better hook set with out setting the hook.and seems to last longer. may damage eyes over a long time of fishing(catching).braid
seabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
flatsmaster14
Registered Users-pm+

flatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirate
Catching a trout or redfish with braid ain't gunna damage your rod, now i have seen some heavy offshore rods with slight damage from braid
flatsmaster14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcNick View Post
Thanks. I've heard that braid damages the rod guides. Any truth to that?

-Nick
Water can cut stone but ive used braid for years and no guide damage.

-mac-
Smackdaddy53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Jean Scurtu
Registered Users-pm+

Jean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcNick View Post
Here's another question I have about braid after doing a little more reading. How much mono backing do you put on the real before you put on the braid?

What size mono do you put on? Just wahtever size is recommended for the spool or what?

Any specific hardware/swivel etc differences from mono?

What reel do you use ?Spinning or baitcasting???
I am fishing with FIRELINE SMOKE 4LB. and SPIDERWIRE ULTRACAST 6LB.,10LB.+fluorocarbon leader on my spinning reel and never have problems.
I you start to fish with braid +fluorocarbon leader you never fish again with mono.
But before you must read something about advantage of the braid line.
Jean Scurtu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message