Gulf Canyons - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #41
RGV AG
Registered Users-pm+

RGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Mustang:

No, sadly I don't get offshore much at all. In Texas I haven't really in about 4 or 5 years, due to working in Mexico and lately in Central America and the host of issues that come with actually growing up. I still own property in Port Isabel and as much as I try to spend time down there something always prevents it, such as paying bills.

Most of the fishing I have done lately has been either chartering down south or in skinny water. I have many fond memories of all the time I spent on the Island and thereabouts.

I am glad to hear that Max and Jim are still fishing with you all, I haven't seen either one of them for quite a while either, does Jim still rag Max constantly? I have been lucky enough to fish with you dad a few times, they were plenty memorable to say the absolute very least, LOL. I always try and read about how things are on the Island and who is doing what, but so many of the faces and names have changed that I really don't know that many people anymore. You all did do well last year.

Argo:

If you can get through the spanish read the forum about offshore fishing in Southern Mexico, namely Veracruz. There have been some interesting threads on there in months past. They truly are just getting going on fishing offshore, sportsmen style, down there and they get some interesting catches.
RGV AG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #42
RGV AG
Registered Users-pm+

RGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of GunnerRGV AG has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Argo:

Did you see the link about the report from that tournament in Guatemala?
http://www.prensalibre.com.gt/pl/200...06/134007.html

That was a pretty impressive number if it is real, and from what I know about fishing in that area it is probably accurate. 950 Sails released.

It is ashame that Guatemala is such a dangerous and bad place, out of all the Central American countries it may the prettiest, but man is it dangerous. They say those fishing lodges and camps are like prisons. As much as I like to catch fish that is not my idea of a good time.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #43
Svajda
Registered Users-pm+

Svajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV AG
Argo:

That was a pretty impressive number if it is real, and from what I know about fishing in that area it is probably accurate. 950 Sails released.

It is ashame that Guatemala is such a dangerous and bad place, out of all the Central American countries it may the prettiest, but man is it dangerous. They say those fishing lodges and camps are like prisons. As much as I like to catch fish that is not my idea of a good time.

I will be leaving for Guat. in 17 days and 8 hours (but who's counting).

The numbers are unbelievable, hear is the captain I'll be fishing with, just so happens that I'm friends with the boat owner/partner. Check out the report from the end of Decmber,60 out 90. These are the same two guys that I will acompany on this trip. www.guatbilladv.com

I will definately post when I return
Svajda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #44
yakfisher
Cereal Killer

yakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV AG
Argo:

I have been to Guatemala several times in the past 10 years and never once felt I was in any danger. In fact, I feel more vulnerable in a big U.S. city than I have anywhere in Central America. My rule of thumb...don't act like a gringo tourist and you won't be treated like one
yakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #45
Argo
Registered Users-pm+

Argo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to Pirate
I could not imagine getting 30+ sails. that is an insane report. talk about tired.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #46
bevo/fishing/hunting
Football MNC: '63, '69, '70, 2005

bevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Piratebevo/fishing/hunting has been promoted to Pirate
Argo,

There is a guide in Miami who had 38 sails a few weeks ago on a 1/2 day charter. 3 times they had 4 fish on at one time..

Sorry to hijack the thread.
bevo/fishing/hunting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #47
Svajda
Registered Users-pm+

Svajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to PirateSvajda has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo/fishing/hunting
Argo,

There is a guide in Miami who had 38 sails a few weeks ago on a 1/2 day charter. 3 times they had 4 fish on at one time..

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Not knocking the Florida guys, but keep in mind that these west coast fish aren't your average 25-50# atlantic variety.

Any time you have double digit billfish releases it's quite incredible.
Svajda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #48
RGV AG
Registered Users-pm+

Yakfisher:

Trust me I am not a gringo tourist. I grew up in Mexico speak spanish fluently and I have either worked or lived in Latin America for 31 out of the last 37 years. I have primarily been to Guatemala and Central America for work and I mix, mingle and get to know locals, and believe you me Guatemala is a dangerous place. Why else would anyone who has any type of money have body guards and tons of guns? I was there 3 weeks ago and in that time frame there were 13 killings. El Salvador and Guatemala are not safe places, not that I don't like either of them, but they are not safe, and neither are most parts of Honduras. With the advent of the Mara's lots of things have changed in those countries, and not for the better.

Nicaragua is by far the safest Central American country and about the friendliest. If you have any doubt about the safety in any country just ask the flight crews of the US airlines, as they are there very often the airlines make it a priority to really know the skinny. In Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador they are basically forbidden from leaving the hotels. There have been several kidnappings of flight crews in Guatemala in the last few years. Do you really think you are going to hear about all of this?? Do you think that the police and such are trustworthy?? C'mon. Again, Nicaragua and to a lesser extent Costa Rica (even though it is glittery and glamourous it is still dangerous, more dangerous than Nicaragua) are about the safest that you can be in CA.

I grew up in and moving around Mexico City and the country in general and have traveled extensively in Central America, not just the tourist spots (although if you stay in those confines you are usually pretty safe anywhere in Central America) and as much as it dissapoints me and makes me sad the reality of the situation is that some of those countries are not too safe to be in.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #49
Argo
Registered Users-pm+

Argo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to Pirate
rgv ag, where do you live currently? Did you spend much time in S Tx, harlingen/So padre area in the past 10 years?
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #50
RGV AG
Registered Users-pm+

Argo:

I split my time between Mission and Port Isabel. I still own property in Port Isabel and try to get there as much as possible. I have been in and around the Valley for about the last 15 years, but have always, until recently, worked in Mexico and sometimes spent extended periods in the interior of Mexico. I worked on sport fishing boats on the Island while in HS and college and even after some, but it was a labor of love and it was real hard to pay the bills.

I used to basically live in on the Island, off and on for about 10 years, and while I worked for spell down in Mexico I called the Island/PI home. Recently work has forced me to spend more time further up the Valley, but I am trying to possibly move back sometime soon, if I don't end up moving to Central America.