Third annual PV trip with Cape Danny Osuna on Dec 5 - 9 - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #11
hog
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time

hog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Pirate
Kil,
Tell us what yall used and how yall caught all the YFT....

Looks like a absolutely wonderful trip.

Would you mind me asking the charters cost?
hog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
One of the purpose of the trip is to test Black Hole rods.
I brought 5 oz Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging rods as well as prototype 7'3" Black Hole Challenger Bank 731H spinning rod.

It looks silly to test 5 oz inshore rod for big tuna, but I like to know the limit of the rod.
I landed about 50 lb tuna with the rod in Okinama and I am pretty confident the rod can handle decent size of tuna though the rod looks fragile.

i fought 80 - 90 lb tuna as you see in the picture. I landed the tuna within 10 minutes using 25 - 30 lb drag on JM pE10 reel.
The tuna didn't take much line except the initial run. it tells how heavy drag I used.
I can assure now you can use the rod for 30 - 50 lb fish.

ksong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #13
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
Prototype 7'3" Black Hole Challenger Bank 731h spinning rod

The rod was originally designed for deep drop or inshore species not heavier than 50 lb.
But I start to recommend the rods for tuna after I landed 200 lb bigeye and 180 lb bluefin on jigs with the same 7231H conventional rod.

I was very curious whether the prototype spinning rod can handle 150 lb - 200 lb yft in Mexico as big yft in Mexico fight much harder than bluefin or yft on the East Coast.
Besides it is a challenger to fight a big yft with a long spinning rod.

The opportunity came. We had a right sizes of yft in 160 lb - 170 lb for testing.
John fought the big tuna with the prototype rod for 1 hour 5 minutes using heavy drag close to 30 lb.
when the tuna pulled hard under the boat, i thought the rod would explode watching the deep bend of the rod
But the rod survived. The rod is 10 oz and the blank weighs only 5.6 oz !! This rod is lighter than your yellowtail rod.

we released the tuna and it was bigger than John's tuna in the picture.

ksong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message