Please help me decide --- poppers and jigging spin combos for the floaters - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #1
Friendswoodmatt
All work n no play

Friendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to Pirate
Please help me decide --- poppers and jigging spin combos for the floaters

Ok -- I have been back and forth through the posts --I am looking for a rod and reel combo to throw poppers at the floaters, and I guess one to jig with. Do I need 2?
I read through the Ahawk stuff and was going to get a couple of lethal 100's and then pick some rods-- was also going to talk to pinnacle marine in SA as all my other rods are Pinnacles and I thought matching the blue and sliver thread on those rods would be nice. But, he never responded to my pm's and I haven't called
So, what do I need ? -- I have decided that I am not buying 2 stellas - and not buying 2 accurates -- I was leaning towards the lethal 100 (reviews and price point) , the cabo 80? mostly because it has blue on it-- dumb I know, but see pic below and was thinking of matching up my reels and rods color wise--dumb idea or ?
I don't even know what size i should be looking for -- 100? 80? 60?
I looked at the lethal 100 at FTU and it looked huge, but perhaps they all do
What do I spool them with? what do I match them with rod wise?
I look for value-- I don't need the most expensive just to show I can afford it, but the best for the money and something that works when I need it to, that being said I dont want to have crappy looking tackle, or something that wont last more then a couple of trips. Suggestions?
Attached Images

Friendswoodmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
t-astragal
Registered Users-pm+

t-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Pirate
Well here's my take.

Popping OTI oceanxtreme 40-60 is tough to beat at any practical price point. And they are blue!

Reels-less expensive ones may not last multiple seasons but you know that going in. Consider a Saragosa as an in between model. 10000 or bigger. Btw look at the Saltiga expedition if you want blue.

Line? I use 40 lb and 60 jb hollow. I've heard good things about suffix 832. I've heard mixed reviews of power pro so I stay away. No need to prove either case.

Jigging? I don't do much anymore. I have a couple of Black hole cape cods and I like them fine.

Ps you'll eventually end up with a Stella or Saltiga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
t-astragal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
NaClH2O
aka Salty Nacho

NaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to Pirate
The Lethal 100 is nice (especially the price), but it's heavy. I prefer the Cabo 80. Another option is a Shimano Saragosa. I have a 20000SW and it is a big heavy reel. I don't think it's necessary for what you're generally going to catch, so I'd go with a 10000SW. I've been happy with my Shimano Trevalla jigging rod (paired with a Cabo 80) and my OTI OceanXtreme popping rod (paired with a Saragosa 20000SW). They're not the most expensive, but they've done the job for me so far. I haven't caught anything huge with these combos, but I do have confidence that they will hold up, probably much better than I will.
NaClH2O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
Friendswoodmatt
All work n no play

Friendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to Pirate
thanks guys -- at this point it appears to be between the cabo 80 or 100 maybe and the goosa 20? I guess is there a difference? is the 20 the size to get-- would prob spool with 60 i am thinking
Old 11-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
t-astragal
Registered Users-pm+

t-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Piratet-astragal has been promoted to Pirate
10k vs 20k is a good question. I've had a 10 k gosa get damaged with a 10 lb bkft. The screws on the side plate backed out for some reason. I tend to think the bigger models are a little tougher. But, they are heavier and and wear you out a little faster. They are bigger than needed for the average GOM tuna too.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
Friendswoodmatt
All work n no play

Sounds like the cabo 100 might be the compromise as the reviews say Cabos seem to run small?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
t-astragal
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookN View Post
Low budget - Makaira or Tsunami Popping with Cabo PTS 60.
Mid budget -OTI Ocean Extrme 4060- Saragosa or Spheros 10000.
High budget - Priceless Lol

P.S. Those Lethal or Cabo 100'are a tank for popping, if you manage to cast an hour long with one of them ...you're the man!

Ideally , you should have a light popping set up ( for stickbaits ect ) heavier set up for larger poppers ( 100g over ) . However if you just need one set up to start with, the OTI -Gosa 10000 is an excellent choice.

This feller knows his stuff.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
I tested several Black Hole Popping rods and the best popping rod i can recommend is Black Hole Magic Eye 804 popping rod. The rod is good upto 100 lb and most yft you catch in Gulf of Mexico are 40 - 80 lb.
The rod weighs only 12.2 oz. Some don't care about weight of a popping rod, but i do.
If you like to use heavier setup for tuna over 100 lb, Black hole Cape Cod Special 80G or 80N are recommended. We landed tuna in 200 lb - 300 lb tuna with those rods.

I observed that many anglers in Gulf of Mexico use heavy duty jigging rods while most catch are blackfin.
Again, I favor light weight rod for jigging too. My recommendation is Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch B-581 jigging rod. The rod weighs only 5 oz, but you can catch even yft in 40 - 60 lb or bigger.

I have been tested new Penn Clash 6000 which is the size of Saragosa 8000 and I love it. It cost only $200 and the reel should handle yft or blackfin in Gulf of Mexico.

When you buy a cheap tackle, you eventually buy another one. The rod/reel last at least 10 years.
ksong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
Friendswoodmatt
All work n no play

ok guys have the info I need thanks to all who helped me
Old 11-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
red34

red34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Piratered34 has been promoted to Pirate
For 99.9% of the tuna you will get here in TX, you will be good to go with a 10k Saragosa. You can add a 16k aftermarket spool (I believe they fit the SW...) if you want a bit more capacity. The 20k is way overkill.

Pair that up with a 40/60 for tuna from 30-80lbs or a 60/80 for 60lb+ fish. The whole combo including line and a few lures is under $600.
red34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message