rc "car" question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Hobbies Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
yakfisher
Cereal Killer

yakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirateyakfisher has been promoted to Pirate
rc "car" question

My daughter, out of the blue said she was interested in getting a reomte control car. No luck in figuring out where the idea came from, but if it comes up a time or three more i would be interested in pursuing. Worst case is that i have a new toy, if she decides its not for her. Suggestions of where to start? From what i have seen, the sky is the limit, would prefer to keep it fairly cheap until for now. Anything decent in the 100-200 range?
yakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
Jerry-rigged
Fishing from a paddle boat...

Jerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to Pirate
How old is your daughter? How fast do you want her to go? Driving In house, or drive way, or grass running? Do you have a hobby shop close?

For a good budget RC for a first timer, I would look at 2 brands ECX and Traxxes.

ECX has a new budget line called the "AMP" - one buggie and one monster truck right now.
AMP Truck, $129 I bought my son an ECX Torment for a first RC this summer, and it has been great.

On the Traxxas side, you can't talk RC without talking about the Slash. Basic2WD Slash, $189

Also, if you start shopping for an RC, and reading RC forums, you will see people talking "Brushless" and "Brushed" motors. this is the motor type. Brushed are "normal" DC motors, brushless are computer controlled, much more powerful, and more efficient. Brushless is a no-brainer for someone that is into RC, but for a starter car, a brushed car is fast enough. Brushless REQUIRES throttle control, or you WILL break it. Brushed cars will go 15-20 MPH out of the box, brushless cars will often run 30-35mph - way to fast for a beginner. Plus brushless cars will break your $200 top budget.

if you want to read an RC forum, one of the best non-racer forums I have found for RC cars is UltimateRC

Last edited by Jerry-rigged; 10-13-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Jerry-rigged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
mhooper
Registered Users-pm+

mhooper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Traxxas 1/10th Bandit XL-5 is good high quality for beginner. It will cost more than $200 once you get a better battery charger and a few extra batteries. Its much better than any of the "wal-mart" stuff and easy to get replacement parts.
mhooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
iamatt
Work to fish

iamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirate
We looked into all of that at one point but bought fishing stuff instead. I did speak with a co worker who was HEAVY into that stuff, tournament racing 'sponsored' , in the magazines the whole deal. One thing that he mentioned to me that kind of stuck out and will do if we get into it at some point is this. Craigs list. You can get nickel and dimed with all sorts of pieces and parts once you start doing this hobby. You can probably find someone getting out of it on Craigslist, usually come with like a tackle box of springs and car parts shells etc all for a decent price.
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message