is it possible - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon is it possible

for water to get thru a water/fuel separator, without water settling in the bottom of the canister?? how exactly does a water/fuel separator work?? it's flat on top, can't water simply be sucked from the input to the output, it'd not like the filter itself has a input and output?? the input/output is on top a couple inches apart?? what am i missing?? the reason i say that is because my filter is water free, but EV Diag says detected water. And i thought i felt a couple times, a miss, so should have water in the bottom of cansiter.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
The filter does have an in and an out. If you look at the filter housing you can see where the fuel goes into the filter through one set of holes and out through the others. Yes, you should have some water in the filter if it made it to the engine. That is unless you have a water cooled fuel passage on the engine that is leaking.

Cliff
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
Here is a drawing of how the filter works.

Cliff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon Sierra

i'm using Sierra little diffent style, but maybe same principal.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/10-m..._BwE:texasflag
Old 08-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Picudo Azul
Registered Users-pm+

Picudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to Pirate
Short answer is YES. When did you change it last????. Also 1 fill up of bad fuel will flood out the water separator.
Picudo Azul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
Throw that Sierra away and use only Yamaha spin on elements. I had a Sierra rust internally at 6 months age. I think the Sierra has a coating but I believe the Yamaha is stainless steel. And don't remove the element and think you're pouring out water and then put it back on.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #7
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by redexpress View Post
Throw that Sierra away and use only Yamaha spin on elements. I had a Sierra rust internally at 6 months age. I think the Sierra has a coating but I believe the Yamaha is stainless steel. And don't remove the element and think you're pouring out water and then put it back on.
Absolutely. They are disposable, not reusable. A small amount of water will be soaked in the filter material and not pour out. Soaked filter material will not allow fuel to pass through and cause the engine to starve for fuel.

Cliff
Old 08-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #8
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
So how does water get past a fuel water separator? Easy, ethanol. Alcohol, ethanol in this case, can absorb up to 30% water by volume so it will act as a carrier of the water and allow some of the water to get through. When the fuel is agitated and mixed up, like going down the road or running across a bumpy body of water, the water can get mixed into solution. After sitting for about 30 minutes the water will start to fall out of solution and settle to bottom of the fuel/water separator and your fuel tank.

If you are getting a water in fuel alarm, dump your main engine fuel filter and dump out the filter bowl. Pour it into a clear jar and let it sit. You should easily be able to see the water in the bottom. Also change your fuel/water separator filter. Make sure to always use a good fuel additive like Biobar or Stabil. Run your boat more often too...
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
Always carry a spare Yamaha spin on filter and a spare engine under-cowling filter.
I've been using Startron marine stabilizer with good results and recently used Chevron Techron Marine Stabilizer. Everybody has their favorite.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

tarpon right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
So how does water get past a fuel water separator? Easy, ethanol. Alcohol, ethanol in this case, can absorb up to 30% water by volume so it will act as a carrier of the water and allow some of the water to get through. When the fuel is agitated and mixed up, like going down the road or running across a bumpy body of water, the water can get mixed into solution. After sitting for about 30 minutes the water will start to fall out of solution and settle to bottom of the fuel/water separator and your fuel tank.

If you are getting a water in fuel alarm, dump your main engine fuel filter and dump out the filter bowl. Pour it into a clear jar and let it sit. You should easily be able to see the water in the bottom. Also change your fuel/water separator filter. Make sure to always use a good fuel additive like Biobar or Stabil. Run your boat more often too...
I run the boat often, weekly or bi-weekly, if bad weather or too busy. i change the water/fuel separator about every 6 months. i have a new one on now, will pull it empty it and let the fuel sit for awhile this time. no alrm, but ck eng light. need to start using an additive, I've never had to do this before. thks for input guys. i'll head to the storage after the office.