Product for reel cleaning - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Reel repair, maintenance, and upgrade forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Product for reel cleaning

For cutting film and grime, I like to use anhydrous alcohol. The problem is, it quickly begins to take on water from the atmosphere. I've been using some 99.9% alcohol in a spray bottle, which was better than anything else I could find. But I've always been concerned that the squeeze sprayer has to suck a little bit of air back in, or the bottle would collapse. And there's water in that air. So when my spray bottles reached 1/3 or a little more, I always put them aside to use for other less water-sensitive projects.

The manufacturer is putting 99.9% alcohol in an aerosol can now, and it is amazing. I don't have to worry about any water making its way into the alcohol. With that, an old t-shirt, and a few drops of oil, I have all my reels feeling like they did when they came out of the box. The best part is, it's pretty darn affordable.

I thought I'd share it, if anyone is interested. Below is a link to the exact product on Amazon, and a picture. Clean those reels, before fall gets here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
What parts of the reel are you using it on?
Drundel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
That's great info, because I use 91% rubbing alcohol to clean up my epoxy messes. The 99+% version should work even better.

But I just use WD40 to cut the grime on my reels. It's a mediocre (and short term) lubricant, but it's an excellent solvent. And it leaves behind a film that repels water. Alcohol evaporates clean, which is a mixed blessing in the salt air.

I use bulk WD40 in a jar to soak my reel bearings because the factory lubricant is too thick. After a day or so in the WD40, I soak them in sewing machine oil and I can usually improve casting distance on new bearings, and often salvage old, noisy bearings.
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse View Post
And it leaves behind a film that repels water. Alcohol evaporates clean, which is a mixed blessing in the salt air.

Evaporating clean is one of the big advantages to the alcohol. I guess I sort of assumed that everyone knows that stripping metal bare and leaving it that way isn't a good idea. I follow up with Clenzoil. Anyone who isn't familiar with it should look up their website. Good product (for guns as well), and the company is veteran owned.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Sawblade
Registered Users-pm+

Sawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of BosunSawblade has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
Anhydrous Alcohol

I have used regular rubbing alcohol for reel cleaning for a long time with good results. What advantages do you see when using the anhydrous alcohol?
Sawblade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
fishingtwo
You'll Never Catch em Like That

fishingtwo has disabled reputation
Interesting, thanks
fishingtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
Big Bay
Registered Users-pm+

Big Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to Pirate
I’ve been using reel wash with great results. It has alcohol in it to evaporate quickly. It dissolves salt really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message