Rod testing trip to Panama - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #11
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
3rd Day

The another advantage of fishing on the mother ship is you can catch bait easily using sabiki rigs on the mother ship. Tons of bait stay around the boat.
After quick catches of bait, we headed to where we had good action yesterday
No boat was there. It didn't take long we had tuna on slowly trolled live bait and I missed two tuna on my Heru Tuna popper in 15 minutes after we started to troll slowly.
Then John shouted " big tuna on the Tai rod !!"
The Black Hole Tai Special rod is the lightest slow pitch rod in the world. The blank weighs 1.4 oz and the complete rod weighs only 3.8 oz.
As I landed 120 lb halibut, 40 lb AJ or 15 lb grouper with the rod, I wanted to test the rod for 50 - 100 lb tuna. But after I saw the initial run, I knew we got a wrong size of tuna.

The tuna turned out to be about 250 lb cow and the tiny rod survived two hours pressure of the big tuna. Three anglers took a turn to fight using 30 plus lb drag. It was a miracle the tiny rod could hold the pressure for so long. Finally the big tuna was seen under the boat. Within 15 minutes we could have landed it, but it made a final desperate run while angler tried to give pressure by lifting the rod.
And the rod got snapped ! John saw the fish and he said the monster was bigger than any cow he saw in PV. We took the cow's picture with Gopro.

It would have been a sensational catch by any standard and we had a good chance to land it.
I told before the tiny Nano Tai rod is a wonder of rod technology after I landed over 3000 lb fish with it.

The drag was on the Full position. We must gave 30 plus lb drag. I still can not believe the rod could handle such a high drag with the enormous pulling by a cow.

Here is a picture of the big cow. You can see the knot. It should be 4 - 5 ft long and compare the size of fish behind.

The loss of cow let us down for a while and fishing became slow or we were not in a mood to fish.
We decided to go to the mother ship early. On the way in, we saw birds working.
Everybody fought small tuna on poppers. I had t 4- 6 tuna on Heru Tuna poppers.
We must released at least a dozen tuna and headed in.

ksong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #12
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
4th Day

Today was the final day.
We left the mother ship at 6:00 am. We were blessed with fine weather for the whole trip.
It was flat calm and many snappers were boiling on the surface and they hit our bait constantly along with small tuna.

Tuna started to hit live bait.
Dannon fighiting a decent tuna with Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch 631 rod. After landing 100 lb tuna with the rod, I got confidence the rod can handle any tuna under 100 lb though it is only 5.3 oz. the tuna was quickly released as several other small tuna.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #13
ksong

Soon after, John fought a decent tuna with 8' Black Hole Challenger Bank 801H rod. It was a pretty short fight.

Tuna bites were getting better and better and finally we had a big fish on 7'3" Black Hole Challenger Bank 731H.
Greg, Dannon and John fought the fish together. Harness lug strip for spinning rod is a big help to fight big fish.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
ksong

Old 05-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #15
hog
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time

hog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Pirate
Thats some SERIOUS fish'n Kil

WoW!

Really like the idea that so many of the baits had assist hooks on them rather than Trebles as they normally are.

If you personally had do take

1. One popper,
2. one stick bait,
3. one fish imitation such as baby runboh)
4. one jig besides a hammered diamond,
5. one rod and
6. one reel

on one of these offshore excursions you go on. What would they be?

Also, sometime, i wish you would post detailed photos of your tackle box you take with you. I know you must have it down to a detailed small amount by now...

Thanks in advance...

Great Photography and videos you are putting out. Would love to see more of the actual working of the jigs and poppers rather than just the fighting if possible...

Thanks again
hog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #16
ksong

We released about 25 - 30 tuna on this trip.
Everybody on the trip wants to do it again next year and I plan to book the whole mother ship next year.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #17
BullyARed
Registered Users-pm+

BullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to Pirate
Wow! Wow! Wow!
BullyARed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message