2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1/2 ton diesels

22K views 85 replies 32 participants last post by  bigfishtx 
#1 ·
Anybody have experience or opinions on the new 1/2 ton diesels? I've seen where the Ford hasn't sold well and the Ram was just recently re-released.

I'm intrigued with the thought of the increased MPG of the diesels. I average about 27000 miles per year...mostly hwy driving.

I tow a 6000lb boat several times a year from Dickinson to Lake Travis or Canyon Lake. Also tow a little Kubota CUT a few times a month.

I'm wondering most about why the diesels have been such mediocre sellers. Seems there was a big clamor for them and now that they're here, they're being passed over for other motors.

#44 ·
This is just arrogance. The same reasons why you choose a diesel in any big rig are the same reasons you choose a diesel for a not so big rig.

A half ton truck in 2021 is probably more capable than a 3/4 truck from the 80’s or 90’s. Not everybody needs to haul 15k with a 2500 truck that rides like it’s got concrete for wheels. And, the Diesel engines are much less expensive in 1500 trucks than in their heavy duty counterparts. About a $3,000 difference, nothing like the extra 9-10,000 in a heavy duty truck. You’ll probably never make up the difference in fuel savings and increased maintenance cost but the same math applies to a 2500 truck.

#45 ·
I owned a 2004 and a 2010 F250 diesels, and I had so many issues with them that I would never own a diesel or a Ford again. The issue is the the government is choking them down so much with emission **** that they are not as reliable or efficient as they once were. The maintenance cost are outrageous and diesel is more expensive. The price on the trucks are also are getting to be so expensive.

If I did decide to buy a diesel again I would buy a Dodge Ram. Just my opinion.

#46 ·
Me or my company have owned multiple diesel trucks thru the years. Currently we have a 2015 F250 with approx 100k trouble free miles. Only issues with that truck have been maintenance items...brakes, oil changes etc. Also own a 2015 Ram 5500 with approx 60k miles. Bought this truck preowned about a year and half ago with only 12000 miles. The 48k miles we’ve put it on it have been trouble free as well. Only maintenance items for it. It does drink the DEF compared to the Ford but it also carries up to 8k lbs payload on a daily basis. Now I have the 2021 GMC Sierra 1500. I’ve had it for 2 weeks as of today. Has approx 1200 trouble free miles [emoji51]. Only thing I’ve had to spend money on it is fuel !!! And thats been WAY less than the Tundra I traded for it. I see multiple posts about increased maintenance costs for diesels, cost of DEF and higher price for diesel over gas. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I haven’t had prohibitively higher maintenance costs on my diesels. Oil changes cost more but can be done at longer intervals. DEF is CHEAP!!! $12 for a jug that lasts for several thousand miles and right now diesel is only a few pennies higher than gasoline. For me the 1/2 ton diesel was an easy choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#48 ·
diesel or gas

Doing the math, over the lifetime of the truck, say 10 years, say a diesel gets you 25 mpg and a gas gets 16 (my 5.0 coyote Ford 4x4 gets right at 16). Gas at 2.50 a gal and diesel at 2.75. 12,000 miles a year for each. Would take about 7 years for the dollars to balance assuming the diesel is $3500 more to buy! That does not take into consideration the cost of DEF, and a bit more expensive oil changes.

#51 ·
Doing the math, over the lifetime of the truck, say 10 years, say a diesel gets you 25 mpg and a gas gets 16 (my 5.0 coyote Ford 4x4 gets right at 16). Gas at 2.50 a gal and diesel at 2.75. 12,000 miles a year for each. Would take about 7 years for the dollars to balance assuming the diesel is $3500 more to buy! That does not take into consideration the cost of DEF, and a bit more expensive oil changes.
This is why I went with a gasser. I couldn't justify the cost for the miles I drive.

#49 ·
Diesel truck as.daily driver.is ridiculous. That's what the diesel tdi is for. Drive me crazy if I drove a truck 24/7 freaking tanks. I use it when I need it. Haven't had gas truck or.commuter in a LONG time. Actually headed out.the door in the stick 53mpg straight piped jetta...truck on watch duty.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#55 ·
Because you know what the GCWR is????

Manufactur has it 7700 pounds just an FYI. So no you are incorrect. I'm under manufacturers GCWR NOT way over. I have 130k trouble free miles on it towing as I describe above about 95% of the time. Wifes has 125k trouble free miles towing about 20%. They have been impressive. Never once felt unsafe. I know you don't want to accept it but there it is.

The truth is with a higher performance steering, higher performance braking, higher performance suspension, way low center of gravity, full time AWD, very short distance from rear axle to hitch point, stiffer sidewall run flat tires, the combination of those makes for an incredibly stable and safer tow vehicle. There is no argument to the contrary.

#60 ·
Interesting to say economy isn't that much better than gas. My brother's Ram Ecodiesel get real world values of 28 mpg on the highway and 20 as some change around town. I haven't seen any gas truck get those numbers. Closest I've seen is about 22 mpg on the highway and about 19 around town using the smaller Ford Ecoboost.

As for the more frequent oil changes, this is the first I've every heard of this.

#61 ·
Bigfishtx I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on your argument. The 3.0L duramax is a $2500 upgrade from the 5.3L and about $1500 upgrade from the 6.2L gas. As far as DEF I pay $15 every 4-6mons depending on driving conditions and oil changes are actually less frequent than gas (10k mile intervals). Current diesel prices are 8-15 cents more per gallon but I avg 25mpg and have never had a gasser get me better than about 16-17mpg avg. I have nothing but great things to say about my 3.0L duramax and have no reason to upgrade to the big 3/4 ton diesels. I have a feeling these 1/2 ton diesels will continue to gain a following and be a big seller for all dealers.

#69 ·
So here is my 2 cents. lve owned my 2020 Silverado 3.0L duramax LTZ for a little over a year now and absolutely LOVE IT! I've mentioned before I've owned several trucks over the last 20years from diesel f250's to ecoboost and 2500 gasser and this is by far the BEST all around truck for my needs. I have a 22ft bay boat and 5500lbs camper and this truck handles both with ease. I will agree the acceleration is probably its biggest down fall but im not one to blow and go. With that being said I have 18000 miles and my life time avg is 24.6 mpg and my best 50 mile range is 31.3 and best 400 mile range is 26.3. I can't stress enough how well this truck tows my equipment and would recommend to anyone not needing to towing something over 8000lbs. As far as every day drive I love it I have a 2" level on the truck and still running factory tires and the ride is as good as my wife's Lincoln. If you have any questions just ask again I've driven alot of trucks and I think I've found the one!

#72 ·
I am still in love with my 3.0 "Half Max". I put 40k on it this year with 0 issues. MPG on highway is about 27 and its about 18.5 pulling my JHB225. I also pulled a twenty foot car hauler with a 79 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive GMC strapped to it.....about 100 miles at 70+ mph with no issues. I am sure I was challenging my rating. Pulled like a champ.

#73 ·
I'm curious to see how these engines are going to hold up in the long haul 100k+. I know most people don't keep vehicles much past that now days, but that's when most of these modern emission compliant diesels start having very costly issues. I have owned a Dodge, 2 GM, and 2 ford diesels in the last 22 years and can say I'm done with emission compliant diesels. My Dodge and both GM diesels were unreliable junk. Both of the fords I own now are 7.3s. If I need a half ton truck it will be a gasser 100%. Don't get me wrong I see the appeal of a 1/2 ton diesel, what you drive is your business and I hope yall have great luck with them!

#76 ·
I have two vehicles with a 3.0L diesel. (Both are BMW x5). Mine is daily overloaded towing 6800 pound 26ft boat with oversize TTop....or my tractor on equipment trailer.... it is driven hard. 140k miles.

Wife has the other one 135k miles. Occasionally towing of 7500 pound loaded horse trailer.

No issues with either of them. Very impressive power plant for what we do. If I was replacing today I would get another one.

#74 ·
I bought the 1/2 ton Silverado LTZ Z71 with the 3.0 D-Max. I have no regrets so far. I traded a 6.2 F250 gasser for it. Glad to see that rough ride find happiness elsewhere. The F250 was good to me though.....75000 miles and nothing but go......at 13 MPG driving and 9 pulling. This little diesel pulled my JH B225 really well today. I have no regrets so far.

I posted that above.......I am now at 43k miles. No regrets so far.

#75 ·
Just wanted to add a quick update to my 2020 Silverado "baby duramax". As many of you know I'm a big fan of this truck and LOVE the mpg, performance, and ride of this truck. That being said it is a bit sluggish on the acceleration but my wife says I drive like an old man anyway and it does bother me. We recently took a trip to Estes Park CO and my 2500 mile round trip mpg was just under 24 mpg. I believe it could have been better cuz of the fact that on the way up I fought a 40-50mph cross wind for about 250 miles between Lubbock and the CO line. Overall my speed was between 70-80mph and my highest elevation was around 12500 ft in RMNP. Again I can't say enough great things about this truck and hope to get a long li
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Motor vehicle
fe out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.