Lavaca Bay - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
bellaireroad
Registered Users-pm+

bellaireroad is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Lavaca Bay

How much barge traffic is there in the bay? Probably less since Alcoa closed, but looks like they have a big plastics plant operating there as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
bellaireroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2020, 10:55 PM   #2
Cardiff
Registered Users-pm+

Cardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCardiff has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Just a guess, but I’d say a couple barges a day and a big ship maybe once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
bellaireroad
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff View Post
Just a guess, but I’d say a couple barges a day and a big ship maybe once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I sent you a private message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
I know from experience, when one of those big ships come thru, you better have your boat anchored good, and be ready to ride out a 3ft wave.
SSST is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #5
Pintabo
Registered Users-pm+

Pintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to Pirate
The plastics plants don’t use barges to import or export - all done on rail down there. Alcoa used to have some large ships coming in, but very few these days.
Pintabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
TXBohunk
Registered Users-pm+

TXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to Pirate
My place is facing the ship channel and I can guarantee you that at least 2-3 bigger tankers come through there each day and just as many, or more, smaller barges. The traffic and wake is so much, that I hesitate to leave my boat tied to the pier. Those bigger tankers, when loaded and hauling arse, bring in a good 2.5-3.0 foot wake.

Alcoa has been shutdown, but Formosa is expanding. They have built a lot more structure (tank farms, etc), on the south/east side of Alcoa and use that port for a lot of loading and unloading of chemicals/raw materials.

that's a long way of saying that there is more traffic than what is being reported above.
TXBohunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
ol'possum
Registered Users-pm+

ol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirateol'possum has been promoted to Pirate
coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintabo View Post
The plastics plants don’t use barges to import or export - all done on rail down there. Alcoa used to have some large ships coming in, but very few these days.
well someone uses the barges cuz theres 5 or 6 barges a day and an average of 1-2/day

weekends seem to be busy for ships
ol'possum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
Anthony
Registered Users-pm+

Anthony is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Anthony is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Anthony is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Anthony is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Anthony is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Anthony is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Anthony is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Anthony is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Anthony is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Lavaca Bay

I assure you the Calhoun County Navigation District / Port of Port Lavaca / Point Comfort has a lot of traffic. Go to their website and take a look at their Sailing Schedule 25 to 30 vessels for the month of September. That's mainly just Ships and Ocean going Barges

http://www.calhounport.com/
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
bellaireroad
Registered Users-pm+

Lavaca Bay

I found a pretty cool app called marinetraffic, shows all the traffic in any bay you choose. Can to look at boat speed, , path taken, projected path. Can also look at the wake, although I haven’t figured out how to work this yet.
For example right now at 2100, there are two boats headed for Port comfort, both are tugs, one at seven mph and the other at 8 mph

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by bellaireroad; 09-16-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:51 PM   #10
Pintabo
Registered Users-pm+

Pintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to PiratePintabo has been promoted to Pirate
What areas are these barges/ship traffic? I stay north of the bridge mostly, and I have never seen any traffic up there.
Pintabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message