SS report 9-10 Fishing the south end. - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #11
Mike S. 11
Registered Users-pm+

Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Mike S. 11 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Nice report as always. I gave the only one I had last week. I had the same thing happen with the crank battery a while back on Conroe in the middle of the night. This was about the same time I found that nuts on the posts of my trolling motor batteries tucked all the way up in front of my console had corroded to the point it was gonna need something other than the tools I had on board to remove them. Also found that my jumper cables were about 2' too short to reach between the troll batteries and crank battery. It was a long 2 hour ride back to the dock, but I made it there fortunately. I have since relocated the troll batteries to an easier spot to get to, replaced the factory nuts with stainless wing nuts, and bought a 20' long set of jumper cables. Hopefully I'll never need them.

Mike
Mike S. 11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #12
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S. 11 View Post
Nice report as always. I gave the only one I had last week. I had the same thing happen with the crank battery a while back on Conroe in the middle of the night. This was about the same time I found that nuts on the posts of my trolling motor batteries tucked all the way up in front of my console had corroded to the point it was gonna need something other than the tools I had on board to remove them. Also found that my jumper cables were about 2' too short to reach between the troll batteries and crank battery. It was a long 2 hour ride back to the dock, but I made it there fortunately. I have since relocated the troll batteries to an easier spot to get to, replaced the factory nuts with stainless wing nuts, and bought a 20' long set of jumper cables. Hopefully I'll never need them.

Mike
Yeppers, I had looked at my set of jumper cables in the fishing pile that morning and thought no I have too much stuff in the boat.
Just the wrong stuff that day lol!
Old 09-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #13
82dodge
Registered Users-pm+

82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate82dodge has been promoted to Pirate
I always carry a battery jump starter, has saved my ***** many times in the truck, RV, 4 wheeler, and boat
82dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #14
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82dodge View Post
I always carry a battery jump starter, has saved my ***** many times in the truck, RV, 4 wheeler, and boat
The Mighty Red-Fin came with a 125 saltwater Edition Merc. A beast of a motor and the longest lasting I have had. I put conservatively estimating 5K+ hours on it. Being a carb motor it loved gas and oil and would many times leave you flooded for a bit and in danger of running the battery low trying to crank it.
So I bought one of those jump boxes, but went cheap($60) and it only lasted a while even not being used much at all.
I assume they make good ones now, what is a good brand and price for one?
Old 09-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #15
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadslinger View Post
The Mighty Red-Fin came with a 125 saltwater Edition Merc. A beast of a motor and the longest lasting I have had. I put conservatively estimating 5K+ hours on it. Being a carb motor it loved gas and oil and would many times leave you flooded for a bit and in danger of running the battery low trying to crank it.
So I bought one of those jump boxes, but went cheap($60) and it only lasted a while even not being used much at all.

How far apart are your 2 TM batteries from your starting battery? I wonder if a pair of jumper cables in boat would be easier?
Whitebassfisher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #16
fishinganimal
Registered Users-pm+

fishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Pirate
Jumper

I bought one for the toon. I currently only have a cranking battery no TM yet. Paid $99 and check it occasionally to make sure it up to charge.

Quote:
fishinganimal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2020, 03:57 AM   #17
shadslinger

My guess is my 20' cables would have no problem as the boat is 8' wide at the stern and even counting travel through the holds would not be a problem, taking them today and finding a home in the boat for them.
shadslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #18
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon right

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinganimal View Post
I bought one for the toon. I currently only have a cranking battery no TM yet. Paid $99 and check it occasionally to make sure it up to charge.
with one battery smart move. some of these motors will crank with a rope, if you have a young buck onboard to pull the rope.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2020, 09:47 AM   #19
fishinganimal
Registered Users-pm+

fishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Pirate
Help

Out on the rope trick! Shadslingers or somebody's phone will be buzzing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c hook View Post
with one battery smart move. some of these motors will crank with a rope, if you have a young buck onboard to pull the rope.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:51 AM   #20
fishinganimal
Registered Users-pm+

20' of cable takes some amps. A half spent battery may not get there.

Quote:
My guess is my 20' cables would have no problem as the boat is 8' wide at the stern and even counting travel through the holds would not be a problem, taking them today and finding a home in the boat for them.