Splitting oranges - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Splitting oranges

This rain has not done my orange tree any favors

I was told this is from too much water.... and going from dry to wet too fast

That sums up SE Texas weather as we all know

Who else has this going on?
I might try to see if there is any use for these - like a orange oil extract for non edible use...

Or am I wasting time and need to toss into the compost?
Attached Images

Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Sugars Pop
Registered Users-pm+

Sugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to Pirate
Skin its thin on oranges and this is a common thing when they get to much water. Normally lemons and grapefruit don't split like oranges.
Sugars Pop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
My dad has several moro blood orange trees, all loaded this year, but none have split. Maybe some varieties do that more than others? His Blood oranges ripen in January and February so maybe it is the earlier types that are prone to splitting.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Composting is never a waste of time and sometimes is the most efficient use of fruit.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
TerryM
Registered Users-pm+

TerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to PirateTerryM has been promoted to Pirate
Looks like those are navel oranges (Washington,N33). Navels tend to split much more than non-navels (Valencia,Moro,Rep. of TX,pineapple, etc.). With our drought/heavy rain cycles and heavy clay soil there's not allot you can due to prevent it.
I'm kind of lucky as far as splitting goes, my citrus are grown on river silt/pure sand and it really helps out. Tough to keep watered, but when we get heavy rains it drains really fast.

I would not waste my time with the split fruit, just compost it.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
hk
Registered Users-pm+

hk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Pirate
Two years ago I had a super crop.Last year tree did not hardly bloom and no fruit at all.This year tree is loaded with oranges,but they started splitting and falling off .Disappointing to watch all the fruit ruin.Twelve year old Mandarin satsuma may soon get cut down to make more gardening space.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
hk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
Sugars Pop
Registered Users-pm+

Sugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to Pirate
Citrus(Mine) are typically like Pecan trees i.e. every other year you have a bumper crop so be patient before cutting them down.
Sugars Pop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
Mattsfishin
Registered Users-pm+

Mattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to Pirate
My Republic of Texas orange tree had a couple split and I cut back on the water. Last year I did not keep it watered as much and the oranges did not get as sweet. The oranges that split I take in the house and slice up to put on a saucer and place in the living room. Will smell real good and later they go in the compost pile.

My orange has the every other year routine down good. This year I should get 450 or more oranges. Last year was 120 or so.
Mattsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message