2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Who remembers these?

14K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  WilliamH 
#1 ·
Going through my mother's house - motor seized, but still looks cool:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Prop Rod. Yes, it has a spring that you wind, then you let go and the spring spins the engine to start it. I put some Kroil in it to see if the motor will free up.

I first ran it back then (50+ years ago) by holding the tether. I did get dizzy. I later just ran it with a steel pin driven into the asphalt. It was pretty fast.

#11 ·
Now keep in mind this was the 60's.
There was no controller. It had a string tied to it (you can see the eyelets for the string is located were the axle meets the chassis) and it ran in a circle, either off a pivot stake or you laid on your back and held the string and let the string pass over you.

#18 ·
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Cox...7184892?hash=item2f075fd8fc:g:iiAAAOSw~y9ZB5o~

Yes they were called Shrikes. Had one, loved that era of toys, busted my fingers many times but never lost one. the one listed above is cool. Not sure you could get a hold of the "glow fuel" that they ran on, but that stuff was awesome..... Me and a buddy put that in a lawn mower engine once. Ran away before the engine blew up - turn red hot. if you can get her started somebody will pay you for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.