2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Be 100% Honest

5K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Retired 
#1 ·
After quitting.

Can you breathe better.
Do you feel better
Do you have any more energy than you did before.
And for those of you that have addictive behaivors like myself, how did you keep from the urges.

#2 ·
I dipped for 36 years, you always hears food will taste better ect., I noticed no difference on feeling better or anything else! It's been almost 5 years, I have saved alot of money and my breath doesn't stink anymore, to me that's the plus.

#4 ·
When I made up my mind to finally quit, I just have never really wanted another dip. It is truly one of the most weird thing ever that after 30+ years of dipping Cope that I would just not dip anymore. But I quit about 6 years ago and I have never touched a can, much less opened the lid and take a dip. I just don't want that any more. No other way to describe it.

I can't say that I feel any different other than I am so happy that I am no longer worrying about cancer, tooth loss, etc. I want to see my grandbabies for a really long time and I knew that may not be the case if I kept dipping.

Good luck, you can do it.

#5 ·
After quitting.

Can you breathe better. 100% yes and I no longer cough up nasty stuff all the time.
Do you feel better 100% yes not out of breath all the time
Do you have any more energy than you did before. Not so much more energy but no longer planning when I need to smoke next. My day an time now belong to me and NOT my nasty habit telling me what to do and when to do it!!!! I can also last longer as I am not so out of breath so fast.
And for those of you that have addictive behaivors like myself, how did you keep from the urges. Two things First was Jesus, next was constantly replacing the thoughts of smoking with thoughts of what I can do with the money saved, the longer healthier Life I will live that will allow me to have a ton more pleasure than I ever got from a cigarette.

#6 ·
I quit a 43 year habit to Copenhagen 3-5-2019. No huge differences in my health that I can tell. Gained a few pounds. Breath smells better and I am not a slave to the addiction. I can actually leave the house without panicking about whether I have a can close. The nicotine addiction was no problem. Nicotine is addictive, but, there are no real physical withdrawal effects. 99% of the addiction is mental. The oral fixation/addiction was the biggest hurdle. Since I quit, I still substitute tea for tobacco. I moisten loose tea in a snuff can and dip it just like Copenhagen. It helps me get through the times I really crave the dip. BUT, I'm not addicted. I can do without. IMO it's the best decision I've ever made.

Note: I do enjoy a cigar and a toddy in the evening a lot more now. LOL

#8 ·
After quitting.

Can you breathe better. Yes.
Do you feel better. Yes
Do you have any more energy than you did before. Yes
And for those of you that have addictive behaivors like myself, how did you keep from the urges.
But I did not notice it right away. Several years after quitting a 25 year smokers habit I realized that I felt better and had more energy. I took up jogging, I didn't get heartburn from smoking too much, I smelled better. As for the addictive behavior, when I did quit it was because I was sick and tired of smoking and was beginning to be embarrassed because I was controlled by a nasty habit. You just have to want to do it. I mean Really want to quit it BADLY! Ironically, it was my old mother in law that told me, "If you're having trouble quitting you don't want to quit bad enough and when you want to quit bad enough, you'll quit." I've not touched one or wanted one since.

#9 ·
So, I am a double quitter. I quit smoking cigarettes in my mid 30’s after 20 years of smokinga pack to a pack and a half a day. I was starting to develop the smoker’s cough, and spent the first few minutes awake clearing my lungs and hacking up ****. It took about six months for the smoker’s cough to go away, and in that time, I gained about 20 pounds. Once I was able to get most of the gained weight off, I did feel better and had more energy. Today, the smell of a cigarette almost makes me retch, which is a good thing.

About a year ago, I quit a ~10 year dipping habit. I started when hunting and fishing, then progressed to full time. My gums felt better almost immediately, but I didn’t notice any change in energy level or appetite. However, I still think about how good a dip would be after a good meal, with a good scotch, or when I am in the deer stand or on the boat. The cravings have diminished from the first few weeks, but I don’t remember the cigarette cravings being this strong a year after quitting. Maybe it’s just age, but I still think about a dip at least every other day, if not at some point every day. I’ve tried the fake stuff, and chewing gum, but it is not the same. I continue the fight, but I sure hope it gets easier as time goes on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.