2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

What spinning reel?? For reds and trout

8K views 29 replies 29 participants last post by  Solodaddio 
#1 ·
What spinning reels do you recommend for fishing for reds and trout. I usually use a baitcaster but am considering adding a spinning rig.

Thanks for your help. I would like to keep it under 150.00 blessings

#5 ·
I have had good luck with the Penn Fierce 2000 and 2500. Great little reels. I have paid anywhere from $39-59 for them.

Lately I have been moving to the Lew's T-300, another great little reel and a little lighter than the Penn. $80. Super good little reels for the money.

#9 ·
I've been extremely happy with my Stradic 2500. Held up really well. Have to say though for $30 you can get a Shimano sienna, which in my opinion is just as good as their $80 class reels. It's not as smooth as my Stradic but for $30 you can't beat it.

I do keep hearing a lot of good about the penn battle II

#10 ·
I picked up a new penn conflict 2500 (similar line capacity as a shimano 3000) off amazon for $97 and have been very happy with it. The conflict is a step up from the battles which are very good reels also. They are heavier than their shimano equivalents but that's because they have aluminum bodies. You won't get an aluminum body in the shimano line until you drop the money for a stradic which I think is worth it if you have it to spend.

If you want to save some money the conflict will work well. I went out with LG Boyd a month ago and we almost limited out on trout and he put us on a huge school of redfish. We stayed on them for an hour or so and put that conflict to the test with all 5 or 6 of mine over 28". After those redfish I'm confident that reel could handle a much bigger fish.

I've caught reds on my sienna 2500 and it handle them but I could feel the reel foot flexing under the pressure. That just makes me wonder how long it will last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I use Shimano Sahara 3000's

I do not like the line capacity of the 2500. You get 1 little wind knot and your spool is half gone in a 2500. The drag system is stronger on a 3000 to deal with bigger fish and it will last longer.

There is no difference in weight that you can physically tell by holding them. A few ounces is nothing.

Trust me go with the 3000 and put some 20 lb braid on it.

#19 ·
penn fierce, battle, or conflict.

I use the 2500 size, and they have handled anything caught in the bays, up to 35+" reds. they will put out over 10lbs of drag, and combined with 20lb braid, it's plenty of reel.

true comment regarding wind knots... I actually carry a 1500 yard spool of line in my boat now, because of that situation.

#22 ·
:texasflag

For over 10 years after i sold my SHIMANO STRADIC 4000 ,because after one season of fishing in saltwater start to don't work o.k. i was fishing and catch a lot of nice fish with that old DAIWA WHISKER SS TOURNAMENT 1300,and i never change with another reel the same price category(around $100)

Attachments

#23 ·
honestly love the Shimano Stradic Ci-4 line. I've waylayed a good #
of large fish on my 4000 model, including a 24# striper in flood current, some small sharks, & a bunch of jacks, including a 20#er that actually damaged the reel.
this actually was a good thing. got online & found a guy that provides a bearing kit
that replaces the bushings in the main & crosswind asm's & solves the problem, making my little reel almost Stella-smooth.
fish a 3000 on an old allstar blank that I refuse to retire for bay work.
also fish a 1000 for vertical crappie & winter rainbow trout.
5 years on all of them, fishing daily in some instances with the bushing issue in the 4000 being the only snafu. Drags are strong, smooth & don't fade.
wash them after use, they are not a SW-rated reel.
ohterwise, a super lightweight kickass reel for the $$, IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.