I want a SIMPLE, Long Range, Digital, Camera! HELP! - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Photography Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
TXDRAKE
Registered Users-pm+

TXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to Pirate
I want a SIMPLE, Long Range, Digital, Camera! HELP!

This is my first post in the camera forum and this may have already covered, but here goes. I want a Long Range, SIMPLE to operate, Digital, camera. I am not looking to do photography as a intense hobby (at least not yet) or profession, I just want a camera to take pics at long range of deer on our lease. I am not in anyway familiar with Hi-tech cameras and any of the extremely nice long range cameras my friends have are quite technical. I basically want a point and shoot camera with minimal input from me. I understand their are some adjustments I need to do like focusing with a long range lens but thats about as far as I would like to take it. I am not looking for professional or even semi-professional quality pics just be able to take pics of deer for management evaluations. Is this just a pipe dream or is there a camera out there for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
TXDRAKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
richg99
richg99

Location: North Houston (FM1960/Champions area)& Tenn. in the Summers
richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
Not a pipe dream at all. Most of the major manufacturers offer Ultra Zoom Digital cameras. Add a telephoto lens and you can shoot the moon...as well as the deer.

Its been a few years since I bought one. They are/were offered by Canon (S3 and S5); Sony had the H series; Nikon introduced one; along with Olympus and Panasonic and probably everyone else, too. Now, a UZ with a telephoto won't give you all of the detail that a good single lens digital reflex (DSLR) plus a high quality telephoto lens would...but you will be spending under $500.00 for 90% of the results.

You can set most of those cameras on the AUTO setting and get fine results. You will get better results if you simply learn how to use the -A- (Aperture) setting as time goes on.

I'd do a web search for Ultra Zoom cameras and then come back here with more questions. regards, Rich
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
TX CHICKEN
Registered Users-pm+

TX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to PirateTX CHICKEN has been promoted to Pirate
I have the Canon S5 and added a 1.5 teleconverter to it and it takes pretty good pics 200 yards out. You can probably get a good used one for under $300 and the extra 1.5 for another $60 or so.
Mike
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
richg99
richg99

richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
If you go the Ultra Zoom route..please DO NOT make the mistake of buying a cheapy teleconverter junk lens for it. Buy a quality Canon/Sony etc. teleconverter. .The extra $50 or even $100.00 that you spend on the teleconverter will be well worth it.

I have a $39.95 teleconverter sitting on my desk back in Houston acting as a paperweight!

You will have to also buy a fitting to add the teleconverter lens in most cases. That is normal.
I would also expect to buy an inexpensive ($30.00 or so ) mono-pod to steady your shots. Wal-Mart; and many other places have them .

regards, Rich
Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
TXDRAKE
Registered Users-pm+

TXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to PirateTXDRAKE has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the information, fellas!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
TXDRAKE
Registered Users-pm+

Is this one (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...ModelDetailAct) of the ones you guys mentioned? And is this the teleconverter lens(http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...delSuppliesAct) you guys are talking about?

So what does a teleconverter lens do exactly? Does this camera have a removeable lens so that you can get a longer zoom lens? Thanks again for the information.

Last edited by TXDRAKE; 09-16-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
TXDRAKE
Registered Users-pm+

What about this one (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1450)? Also, is there any one brand you guys prefer over another? Thanks, Jason
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
richg99
richg99

Yes, the first LINK is the camera. The second LINK shows the teleconverter lens below the pix of the camera itself...I believe. I , personally, used the Canon S-3 with the Sony 1.7 teleconverter. The other poster used this one I believe. Either will be high quality and do a good job, IMHO.

The Canon teleconverter MIGHT attach directly without an adapter. That I do not know, but it would be a good thing.

The teleconverter ADDS ONTO the original lens. Ultra Zooms normally do NOT have removable lenses, but do easily accept the addition of the T/C.

You may read where T/C's, when used with DSLR's are not very good. Something is different about the layout of the UZ with a teleconverter. It works very well, and does NOT lose as much light ( f-stops) as a similar device on a DSLR. Don't ask me why.

I have a Flickr site that has many pix taken, prior to May of last year...(when I bought a Sony A350 DSLR).....with a Canon S-3 and a Sony 1.7 teleconverter. You can probably find it by going to FLICKR and searching for richg99. Lots of shots with the the combo mentioned above. regards, Rich

The t
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
richg99
richg99

Here is the LINK to the Flickr site. Rich
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
richg99
richg99

Since I haven't purchased a UZ camera in the last couple of years, I do not have any knowledge of the OLY that you showed above. I would not hesitate to buy an OLY, though.

I, personally, have little or no brand loyalty when it comes to UZ cameras.

I am, however, cognizant of the support groups and add-on products that are available. Even though I owned a Sony H-2 and then a Sony H-5...and later bought a Sony A350 DSLR.. in the middle I bought the Canon S-3 and was completely pleased with it. I still own it and use it for special situations.

Every camera manufacturer has some feature or benefits that sets them out. The Sony H-5 had very bright and wonderful screen...but only had two batteries and was SLOW to flash. The Canon had a dim screen, but had four batteries and was quick to flash.....and the beat goes on.

You've got to do some serious shopping. Be mindful though, that your goal is to take seriously long shots. That means that your final choice had better have a good teleconverter lens available. Some do... some don't. regards, Rich