Ditch Bag - What's Missing? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
Ditch Bag - What's Missing?

Time to refresh the safety gear and check for any items that may be coming up for expiration.

I'm curious as to what others might have in their Ditch Bag, or what items I might be missing, essential and/or convenience items.

My Ditch Bag inventory goes as follows (not including items in mechanical bag):

Delorme InReach SE (self explanatory - locator beacon) - worn on belt

ACR ResQLink+ (self explanatory - locator beacon) - worn on belt

Uniden MH5125 Floating VHF (w/ antenna adapter to allow connecting to full size antenna as primary vhf backup)

Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Digital Compass Handheld

Handheld Compass

Volt Meter

Jumper Leads

Spare Fuses

Binoculars

Flashlight

25 ft 1/4" Nylon Rope (braided eye one end, monkey's fist other end) - multi-purpose use, lifeline, etc..

50 ft Orange Paracord - multi-purpose

Emergency Signal Flags

Flare Kit (12 flares)

Note: When using signal flare, carry enough flares to discharge two flares within 10 seconds of each other. If a boater or other persons happen to catch the flare out of the corner of their eye, most will stop, pause for a few seconds "what was that? I think I seen something?", look to see where it came from, this is when the second flare will be seen, catch their attention and identify your location.

6" 12 Hour Light Sticks - Green (qty 12)

6" 12 Hour Light Sticks - Red (qty 12) - May be better seen under night-vision or FLIR?

6" Infrared Light Sticks - (qty 12) - For search and rescue using night vision / FLIR

Having red/green light sticks you could devise make-shift NAV Lights

200 ft 1" Glo-Pink Flagging Tape (multi- purpose, hi-vise steamer can be seen long distance)

200 ft 1" Glo-Orange Flagging Tape (multi- purpose, hi-vise steamer can be seen long distance)

2 - Space Blankets (multi-purpose, warmth, shelter, highly reflective can be seen long distance)

12 - AA eneloop rechargeable batteries (extra batteries for GPS & VHF)

8 - AAA eneloop rechargeable batteries (GPS and Compass)

8" Bolt-Cutters (To cut any fish hook, cable, wire on board)

10" Filet Knife

4" Stainless Lock Blade knife

4 emergency whistles (also included on life vest)

12" Zip Ties (qty. 25) - multi-purpose, tourniquet, repairs, etc

Fish hooks / fishing line

Magnesium Fire Starter / water proof

Stainless hose clamps (fuel line repair, etc)

Lawn and Leaf Bags (qty 4) - multi-purpose, shelter, repairs, if floating in water you could pull these up around you to mask your scent/blood of injured, could make a solar still with a bucket, ice chest, etc, lots of uses

In addition to a complete First-Aid kit (the usual bandages, gauze, anti-bacterial, splint, tourniquet, cold/hot pack, ibuprofen, aspirin, etc..) I added the following;

Hibiclens (32oz) - antibiotic, washing cuts, etc, leaves a protective film

Jellyfish Squish (sting neutralizer)

SPF 50+ Waterproof Sun Screen

35w Surgical Stapler (wound closure) w/ Surgical Staple remover

Transderm Scopolamine Patches (qty 6)
Bonine (qty 12)

Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum (qty 24)

Pure Ginger Pills (qty 24)

The bag floats via waterproof / watertight containers along with pool noodles cut and placed on the insides

Relentless
TXFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
NeverTighter
Registered Users-pm+

NeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerNeverTighter has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Wow! You have a great ditch bag! I am definitley getting a few ideas to add to mine just by looking at this list. Somethings I like to have in mine that you didnt mention are duct tape, which can be used for anything, as well as superglue which I like to use in the cases where I may cut myself and need a quick patch and dont want a bandage to get in the way of my fishing! It works great on those thin sliced cuts you just always seem to get while fishing. A cheap mask and snorkle are also part of my ditch bag. I guess so I can see the sharks coming while in floating out in the middle of the water haha, or just to do repairs that require you to get in the water. Also, I just started adding that Flex tape to my bag... not sure if it actually works but those commercials defintiely worked on me! Hopefully I will never have to actually see if it can repair a hole in the bottome of my boat. Thanks for sharing your ditch bag ideas, it helps a lot!
NeverTighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Chase This!
break out the 80's and them fancy lures

Chase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to Pirate
Dang, mine is a life raft, two epirbs and three bottles of rum.
Chase This! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Chase This!
break out the 80's and them fancy lures

Chase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to PirateChase This! has been promoted to Pirate
Do you have a life raft?
Chase This! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
stammster
Registered Users-pm+

stammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Pirate
My ditch bag is 100% waterproof, and only contains things I need if I “ditch”. Other bags and containers house tools, spare parts, extra first aid, etc.
stammster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
offshorefanatic
Registered Users-pm+

offshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirateoffshorefanatic has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase This! View Post

Yup. Life raft 2 epirbs a sat phone and plenty of rum. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
offshorefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
dunedawg
Registered Users-pm+

dunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Piratedunedawg has been promoted to Pirate
kingfish

One thing I do is keep all my expired 12ga flares in my ditch bag. Of course, I always have current ones as required, but in a pinch the expired ones might come in handy. Might fire them first if, God forbid, ever needed.
dunedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
Mulletmaster
Registered Users-pm+

Mulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to PirateMulletmaster has been promoted to Pirate
That stapler is a good one to have
Mulletmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase This! View Post
Perfect!!

Looking to add a 6 man life raft this year

Relentless
Old 02-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
TXFishin
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverTighter View Post
Wow! You have a great ditch bag! I am definitley getting a few ideas to add to mine just by looking at this list. Somethings I like to have in mine that you didnt mention are duct tape, which can be used for anything, as well as superglue which I like to use in the cases where I may cut myself and need a quick patch and dont want a bandage to get in the way of my fishing! It works great on those thin sliced cuts you just always seem to get while fishing. A cheap mask and snorkle are also part of my ditch bag. I guess so I can see the sharks coming while in floating out in the middle of the water haha, or just to do repairs that require you to get in the water. Also, I just started adding that Flex tape to my bag... not sure if it actually works but those commercials defintiely worked on me! Hopefully I will never have to actually see if it can repair a hole in the bottome of my boat. Thanks for sharing your ditch bag ideas, it helps a lot!
I keep several rolls of duct tape in another bag, but now that you mention it I need to add a roll to the Ditch Bag, or even some Gorilla Tape, tough sticky stuff

I thought about FlexTape, haven't messed with any before, I need to pickup a roll to play with and see how it handles

Duct tape and super glue is a mean combo for sure!

Relentless