Brazilian Style Picanha - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
Rufneck
Registered Users-pm+

Rufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Brazilian Style Picanha

I married into a Brazilian family and have learned to cook picanha for them. It is a really good cut of meat for the cost and if you like hot beef served salty, there's nothing better. I've really enjoyed cooking and serving it to them and they certainly like eating it.

I bought one from HEB today and I am really disappointed in in what I got. It was pre-packaged and when I opened it up, I realized that the fat cap was over 1/2" thick and so there isn't much of the actual meat.

This cut has become pretty popular, but I need to find a reliable butcher who knows that it is and knows how to cut it. Anybody have any suggestions? We live in Houston in the Galleria area.

Thanks in Advance!!
Rufneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Haute Pursuit
Give it hell Remy!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
Might try Restuarant Depot. Other than that, you can find Ribeye cap at Costco already cut into strips for grilling on a skewer. Much more tender than sirloin cap. Ask the butcher guys if they don't have any in the meat case.
Haute Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Rufneck
Registered Users-pm+

Rufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I ended up getting a picanha from Pete's Fine Meats and cooked it alongside the one from HEB and surprisingly, the one from HEB was better. Who would have thunk it??
Rufneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
daddyeaux
Cajun 2 da Bone

daddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Pirate
You might B&W Meat Market on North Shepherd. They have very good meat and the butchers know their stuff.
daddyeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
fISHBUD
Don't call it a dream, call it a plan...

fISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to Pirate
This is new to me...do you cook it like a brisket or grill it?
Reverse sear?
fISHBUD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
Gizzmo
Urban Redneck......and proud of it!

Gizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to PirateGizzmo has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyeaux View Post
You might B&W Meat Market on North Shepherd. They have very good meat and the butchers know their stuff.
Their sausage is some of the best I ever had....and the hot is actually hot
Gizzmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Knot Kidding
I Member Like It Was Yesterday

Knot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to Pirate
1) Meat Masters
2020 South Fry, Ste. G in Katy, Texas
281.646.0505 http://www.meatmasterskaty.com/home.html
Knot Kidding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
beerdruid
Registered Users-pm+

beerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Piratebeerdruid has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Their sausage is some of the best I ever had....and the hot is actually hot
You aint lying! Good stuff for sure and great selection.
beerdruid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
tpool
Registered Users-pm+

tpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Piratetpool has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fISHBUD View Post
This is new to me...do you cook it like a brisket or grill it?
Reverse sear?

I did one for the first time 2 Saturday's ago. Came out pretty darn good (I overcooked it during the sear).

That being said, following a guy on YouTube, I cooked it to 80 deg internal on one side, then flipped them and cooked to 120 deg internal (all at 250 deg using mesquite), then seared on 600 deg and was supposed to pull at 130-135 (I didn't use a thermometer and took most of them to 150 on accident). The ones medium tasted just like sirloin. The thicker ones that only made it to 140 were delicious and tasted like salted filet!!!

T-BONE
(tpool)
tpool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message