Satellite phones - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 08-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
blaze 'em
Registered Users-pm+

blaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirate
I gave Outfitter Satellite a call a few years ago and basically got a crash course. Pros and cons of each. They were extremely helpful.

Ended up going with the isatphone (inmarsat). It's worked everytime and there's no monthly bill or contract. Just load it for with the minutes you need/duration of time and dont worry about it.

Family members have iridium. It's worked really well also.

Only thing I know about globalstar if I remember right is you have a contract and plan just like a cell phone.

They all have pros and cons: price, coverage, contracts, plans, etc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
blaze 'em is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
LizSea
Registered Users-pm+

LizSea is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
x4 on the InReach. Kinda like Onstar in a GM vehicle. If you push SOS, you're connected with a tech who can assist with CG, etc. It stores in the satellite your location, heading and speed every minute.

The texting feature is great to keep everyone updated: had 3 families of kids out a couple weeks ago and stayed out pretty late. I texted my wife to alert the other moms and they were all very thankful. And if you give them access, friends can see your location any time during your trip.

Aside from the safety aspects, it's pretty cool to review your odometer and tracks on the computer when you get ashore.
LizSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #13
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
If you are looking for safety, InReach gets my vote, as posted on other thread:

By no means am I recommending what someone else chooses for their safety equipment, each person has to decide that for their self and what makes them comfortable, this is only my personal opinion.

I have both, InReach Explorer and a PLB, however, if I had to pick just one, or wanted to have both and could only buy one at a time, I would pick the InReach first, for multiple reasons, even over a sat phone.

PLB / EPIRB:

A PLB is what it is, push the button, a light starts blinking, and a single with your position is sent every X minutes, and help is on the way, at least that's the idea.

PLB / EPIRB, is a simple proven device. You have the ability to "test" it several times a year and get a confirmation "blink" back.

You can have manual or auto deploy on certain models.

Registered with your boat and description.

I haven't seen one that's "user serviceable", so every X number of years you have to send it back in for battery replacement and service.

InReach:

They have several models, one with built in GPS mapping, but having the Garmin eTrex 30 at my backup of multiple other backups, I purchased the base model, InReach Explorer.

I use the InReach every trip, with free unlimited preset messages, I regularly send "check-ins" that have a link to a map that shows my position and speed to a contact list of family and friends on the land, "On our way out, all good", "Just checking in, all good", "On our way back, all good".

If I'm running late, staying later than expected, I can send and receive text, e-mail, even post to social media (I have a private Facebook group set up for family and close friends), or turn on breadcrumbs and share a map for others to follow and see where I am, speed, position, and even get weather forecast, etc..

I used it during Harvey and other times when cell service was down or unreliable.

The battery life is crazy, I've left it on after a trip, where it sat for 5 days and still had battery life left, a 12 hour trip sending check-in's or text I'll still have 90% battery life, plus it uses regular batteries that I can replace as opposed to having to send it in, so I keep extras on hand as well as charge it via USB.

I can pair it with my phone for convenience and use my phone to text and use other features, or directly text, e-mail, etc off the InReach it self.

The InReach is also registered, and has an SOS single push button that uses SARSAT, sending the same beacon to the search and rescue network like my PLB.

However, instead of a "blinking" light and "hoping" help is on the way with a PLB, the InReach I'll get text confirmation and ETA that help is on the way, and if I'm able to, I can send back information on the emergency so the rescue team can prepare, know what to look for, expect, how many people, etc..

Since I use the InReach every trip, it increases my confidence knowing it works, doesn't have any glitches, etc..

Why no SAT Phone?

The InReach is MUCH cheaper, I can pay month to month, yearly contract, or only pay for features I use most, etc..

Like a PLB/EPRIB, anyone can pick up the InReach, push the SOS button, and help is on the way.

However, with a sat phone, does everyone on board know how to use it, who to call, what to say, your position?

Would you even be able to speak clearly if floating with waves conning over your head, in a storm, or what if you hit something and busted your mouth, or in a panic?

A couple of years ago, you may have read where there was a cat that went down in some bad weather, they had a life raft and InReach, the captain commented it was a relief to him and helped keep the passengers calm to get a text back that help was on the way, as opposed to a "blinking" light on a PLB or EPIRB.

I carry backups for everything I can, which is why I have both InReach and PLB, but if I had to pick only one, I think for me, it would be the InReach.

Relentless
TXFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #14
Tom Stewart
Registered Users-pm+

Tom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to PirateTom Stewart has been promoted to Pirate
I have globalstar and it has worked everytime I tried to use it.
skip the salesman and call this guy...he keeps my rate low every year when it renews. Real nice guy too.

Allen Villeneuve | Inside Sales & Support Representative
300 Holiday Square Blvd | Covington, LA 70433
(OFFICE) 1-985-335-1554
(EMAIL) [email protected]
Tom Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #15
tcbayman
Registered Users-pm+

tcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Pirate
Not to hijack the thread, but I wish they would come out with a TracFone style system for sat phones. Buy the phone, then buy minutes. No contract, no monthly fees. I guess this wouldn't be profitable for them.
tcbayman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2018, 12:18 AM   #16
BullyARed
Registered Users-pm+

BullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to Pirate
and I am still using pigeons!
BullyARed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #17
blaze 'em
Registered Users-pm+

blaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbayman View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I wish they would come out with a TracFone style system for sat phones. Buy the phone, then buy minutes. No contract, no monthly fees. I guess this wouldn't be profitable for them.
Thats what i do with my isatphone.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
blaze 'em is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #18
Go Man Go
Captain Brian

Go Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to Pirate
Flag Sat Phone

Just got my sat phone bill and $1,340.10 is too much!! Time to shop for a better deal. HELP!!
Go Man Go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #19
Go Man Go
Captain Brian

Go Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to PirateGo Man Go has been promoted to Pirate
Globalstar Sat Fi2 Does anyone have one of these?
Go Man Go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #20
Texans1
Registered Users-pm+

Texans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Don't know much about this product but seems interesting if it actually can turn your iphone into a sat phone...
https://www.thuraya.com/SatSleeve
Texans1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message