Nausea Tips and Strategies - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
SKIPJACKSLAYER
Registered Users-pm+

SKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to Pirate
Nausea Tips and Strategies

I mostly fish the bay, and never have issues there. But I have always gotten sea sick when going offshore. Even on flat days. For some reason going way out there, it always gets me. Every since I was a kid... from riding on a swing set to going on offshore trips with my dad, I always get extremely nauseous. Normally don’t blow chunks, but I feel like I could at any time. Have even gone out on a day with half footers 10 seconds apart and still got sick and lost enjoyment during the trip. Ive used all the meds and oils blah blah but they never worked. But I refuse to turn down a trip bc of it, so I just go and rough it out. But I never outgrew it. About a year ago, a friend told me about some wrist wraps that push an acupuncture spot on your wrist. So I tried them out before a trip out of Galveston. 4ft+ swells in a 24ft boat. To my suprise, I wasn’t sick. I even enjoyed a couple of beers while trolling for kingfish. Slightly nauseous momentarily when looking down too long to tie a knot, or unhook a fish. But would go away as soon as I got my eyes up. Went on a trip to Alaska and fished every day for a week, mostly in rough seas. Wore them with the same results. No nausea, able to enjoy beers and fish my heart out without ever feeling like I needed to get back to dry land. Does anyone have any experiences or stories like this? I believe this has been more than a placebo. It has worked for me probably a dozen times now...
SKIPJACKSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 01:53 AM   #2
SaltwaterTom
Fat Hookers Fishing Team

SaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to Pirate
Dude, blew chunks every trip from age 10 to 17. Bonine (over the counter meclizine 25 mg) the night before, and and another the morning of the trip. Ginger pills the morning of (myth busters approved), and if you’re really sensitive, get the scopolamine patch to place the night before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SaltwaterTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Saltyoldman
Registered Users-pm+

Saltyoldman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
dolphin Ginger

Any thing with Ginger (Ginger Ail, Ginger Beer, Ginger mints) will help, I have always gotten sea sick, I an on my fifth offshore boat and always had to just fish through it.

My son was in the coast guard and when he came home he told me about Ginger. It really helps! I have even taken fresh ginger to chew like tobacco (very hard to do)
Saltyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
HE3
Registered Users-pm+

HE3 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Every tip above is terrific and correct. I simply would take the mystery out of this. Go to your doc, get an rx for either scop patch or compounded phenergren (ointment to rub on your wrist). If neither works, nothing else will.
HE3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
tngbmt
Registered Users-pm+

tngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Pirate
I've tried them all .. the only way to keep from feeling it is if i'm driving the boat or after I've fought a few fish.
tngbmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
Hydrate, and plenty of rest.

I've taken people out in 2-3's that get car sick and they have had no problem.

I tell them starting 3 days before the trip, drink plenty of water, 8 to 10 glass a day minimum, and get plenty of rest. The day before the trip don't eat anything heavy at all, the night before take one Bonine, the morning of the trip when you wake up take one to two Bonine, no heavy breakfast, some toast or crackers, and bring the same with you to snack on

Following this I haven't had anyone sick yet

Just being tired and not hydrated enough will make people queasy on the land of they are doing any strenuous exercise.

Relentless
TXFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
blaze 'em
Registered Users-pm+

blaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirateblaze 'em has been promoted to Pirate
Thankfully I dont get seasick normally. Now too much to drink the night before and then having to reach down in the bilge while everything is rocking will not be a good feeling. But usually its caused by being overserved... Same feeling when you reach down to pick up a golf ball after a long Friday night.

As far as people who get sick, the only thing I've seen actually work for sure is a scopalamine patch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
blaze 'em is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
sea sick
Make blood !!!

sea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Pirate
I hate that feeling. Just dramamine as were leaving works for me. With some caffeine.
I think its just in my head for me. Cuz when I do overnight trips I don't retake the pills. I'm fine the next day.
sea sick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message