Offshore 24ft Haynie Cat - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 04-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
Deer30
Registered Users-pm+

Deer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to PirateDeer30 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
Is this still available?

seriously?
Deer30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
KevinA
Registered Users-pm+

KevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to Pirate
should be obvious but will say that going offshore with only one motor is risky..
KevinA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Profish00
Gone Fishing

Profish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to Pirate
11-04-2015, 06:05 pm
Profish00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #14
waterspout
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!

waterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Pirate
buddy boat and check the offshore bouy report. Go with a buddy boat as we do it often in 21" CC's. just be smart and watch the weather. Not local weather true report from NOAA and the bouy report.
waterspout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 02:08 AM   #15
unc_jaws23
Registered Users-pm+

unc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirate
I know this is old!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinA View Post
should be obvious but will say that going offshore with only one motor is risky..
Started my off shore in a 17,5’ Boston Whaler with a 150 merc, never had any problems. As long as your prepared I don’t have a problem single engine. Grew to a 2072 Robalo with a 200 Johnson-1978 model. Lost power 40-50 miles out and through my dads strength and experience we used a dock line and pull started it. Ran great since. Upped to the 2550 with twin 140’s 1983 model. That was a beast. However it also was the only boat I have been towed in behind a CG cutter probably 110’ it was akin to skiing, and most scared time I remember. I run over nighters and am contemplating going to a single from twin 99 ox-66’s to a single 360 Zune’s. My conclusion was unless it’s a complete spare backup it wasn’t worth it, especially today’s reliability and 180.00 tow boat us membership. That mentality in my eyes have changed. JMO
unc_jaws23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
Ryan H.
Registered Users-pm+

Ryan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to Pirate
only cat boat that I would consider taking offshore like that but could still fish relatively shallow is the Dargel, much higher and steeper entry up front
Ryan H. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #17
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
Since on the subject, from what I was told when I called SeaTow and BoatUS, if it is further than around 25 miles or so, and depending on sea conditions, they will not tow you in, they will call the CG to come get you. (Unless things have changed in the last couple years)

As everyone has stated in other post, sooner or later you will get caught in some mess out there.

I have always considered myself reserved when it comes to weather windows, carry 2 to 4 of everything when I go out, and look for calm days preceding and following our trips.

Even as cautious as we are, we have had some close calls, where it was blue sky, typical summer forecast "slight chance of scattered showers", smooth seas prior and future forecasted

For example, few years back, it went from blue sky slick conditions to beyond ugly in minutes.

When we broke the jetties I bet the wind was gusting a solid 35-40mph, so much so that I had to use my tabs to keep the boat running level and not healing over from the wind

As you can see in the pictures, from slick day to all #### breaking loose by the time we barely made the jetties

Had we fished 5 min longer, didn't see it on radar, buddy boat or not, I would not have wanted to be caught out there in any size rig

That's not saying you can't make runs in just about any size boat on a slick day, I'm just saying it seems like if you go enough times, it's not a matter of 'if' but a matter of 'when', and when it happens I want as much boat under me that I can afford and not rely on someone else, they may very well be fighting troubles of their own at the time

Relentless
TXFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #18
tphule
Registered Users-pm+

tphule is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Same here

I have a 22'6" Robalo suppose to be sort of a hybrid bay boat. Has some freeboard I wont take it out unless it less than 2' really 1.5. I also check the next day forecast to make sure condition are worsening. I was out Last December State water nice and smooth going out. Forecast was to be smooth all day and most of the next. But of course that all changed on a dime. If it wasn't for a nice Sport Fish type 30 ' boat heading back in that let me ride his tail it could have been a really bad day getting back in. Went from 1's to 3-4's in about an hour. A Flat's boat just not good for nearshore, unless its just one of those glass days. Remember that conditions typically worsen as the day goes on just how bad is the question. So going out maybe good but you have to be able to get back in.
tphule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #19
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphule View Post
I have a 22'6" Robalo suppose to be sort of a hybrid bay boat. Has some freeboard I wont take it out unless it less than 2' really 1.5. I also check the next day forecast to make sure condition are worsening. I was out Last December State water nice and smooth going out. Forecast was to be smooth all day and most of the next. But of course that all changed on a dime. If it wasn't for a nice Sport Fish type 30 ' boat heading back in that let me ride his tail it could have been a really bad day getting back in. Went from 1's to 3-4's in about an hour. A Flat's boat just not good for nearshore, unless its just one of those glass days. Remember that conditions typically worsen as the day goes on just how bad is the question. So going out maybe good but you have to be able to get back in.
Me and crew were out about 40 miles maybe 6-7 years ago on one of the 3 or 4 days of the season that year for the 2nd time ... from our previous trip we decided that we'd throw back anything under 22 inches and we hit our spot and started reeling them in ... maybe every 3rd one was plus 22 and we were jiggin' and reelin' before we realized how dark it had got and the head boat that was about a mile NE of us had pulled anchor and was heading back in and across the whole eastern horizon was dark and moving our way briskly ... well we pulled everything up and secured it all and headed SW and noticed a bay-type boat that had been potlicking us had done what we did and followed us out just as quick ... I never got them in focus enough to determine what exactly they were fishing out of but odds were a Bluewave/Pathfinder sort of hull with a 'T'top ... we only got a few miles before the weather overtook and slammed us ... that rain was intense and there were times I couldn't see that boat on our wake or hear him just 75 or 100 ft behind us ... I wanted to get in as quick as I could but didn't want to lose our tail, I think we ended up doing 15-18 knts most of the way and it was brutal pitching up and down ... a 31ft boat is nothing out on the ocean in a storm dropping buckets ... once we got within a couple miles of shore the tail turned off and that was the last of him ... but I can still recall vividly a picture of that boat struggling in our wake for all it was worth ...
acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #20
El gato 24
Registered Users-pm+

El gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to PirateEl gato 24 has been promoted to Pirate
I go out regularly in a 24’ Tran Cat which is the flattest bow of all the cat style bay boats . I’ve been sitting on top of the liberty ship reef 35 minutes after leaving Froggies in POC before running 40 mph . Watch the NOAA forcast and be smart about it . Chance of showers is a go . Chance of thunderstorms is not , unless they’re calling for late afternoon . Any forecast calling for 2’ or less is typically a go . Get a radio check from the coast guard and let someone know where you’re planning on going . I furnish coordinates. And a time frame . Wearing life jackets should be a no brainer . I usually know immediately upon exiting the mouth of the big jetties whether it’s happening or not . It can kick up a bit in the afternoons with an outgoing tide and a southeast wind, but you just take what it gives you . We’re often back by noon we’ll before those afternoon winds kick up .
Attached Images

El gato 24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message