Pellets - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
cva34
Registered Users-pm+

cva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Pirate
Pellets

Always been a Stick BBQ man...Had a Lyfe Time Pit for what seems like name.
Its still Good but as I grown older keeping up with wood supply and its so big I hate to fire it for 1 chicken or 1 rack of ribs.
My cuz who even had a 20f BBQ trailer recently gave it up and bought a Pit Boss pellet with about 800sq in cook surface.( really Happy with).and seeing it in action and eating stuff from it kinda got me thinking...

WE bought same brand..just smaller..340 sq..Academy had Hot Buy..199 reg 399... with vets discount 180.+ tax...

Saturday did 12# brisket.7h and then 7# loin and 2 4# chic...3h...all OUTSTANDING...used a little over 2 large coffee cans pellets....Basicl set and forget..Just remember SOP every now and then..and fill pellet hopper every 4h or so....I cooked all at at 250 deg

Pellets were Pit Boss brand 40# 14.95 at WM competition blend ..

Not tryin to sell just my personal exp..
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
BrandonH
Registered Users-pm+

BrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to Pirate
I bought the Pit Boss 820 Deluxe a couple years ago on clearance and haven't looked back since. Add a smoke tube/tray for additional smoke and it turns out some awesome food. I've tried several different brands of pellets and so far Lumberjack pellets have been my favorite. My big stick burner just sits there and hasn't been fired up in over a year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
pknight6
philo

pknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Piratepknight6 has been promoted to Pirate
I also bought the 820 Deluxe on sale from Academy. Also love their customer service. They emailed me about a month after I bought it to ask how I was liking it. I told them I loved it but had an issue with it holding a constant temperature. She asked where I lived and said that with that high an ambient temperature I probably needed to raise the P setting to P5 or P6. I changed it from the default of P4 to P6 and it now holds the temperature very nicely.
pknight6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
cabolew
Registered Users-pm+

cabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Piratecabolew has been promoted to Pirate
Love my pellet grill - PG500 from Cookshack. Have used pellets from Academy and Cabelas. As long as they are hard wood, any brand seems good to me.
cabolew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
SetDaHook
Whoever invented work couldn't fish

SetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to PirateSetDaHook has been promoted to Pirate
I also bought the Pit Boss 820 and love it!! I looked at traeger and I can honestly say that the Pit Boss looks to be better made and heavier guage. My first brisket on it was outstanding. I was always a flop and mop kinda guy and was pretty much anchored to my wood smoker, but no more. With the pellet smoker, it's set it and forget with outstanding results. Gonna give my old smoker to my son, it's just in the way now!
SetDaHook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Old Whaler
Registered Users-pm+

Old Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to PirateOld Whaler has been promoted to Pirate
Sold my stick burner of 20 years and got a Green Mountain Jim Bowie WiFi pellet grill. Unbelievable results and will never go back to a stick. I can monitor and control mine from my iPhone and iPad. This comes in handy when I'm on the golf course. I can raise/lower temp and turn on/off.

Here's a tip. Get some meaty ribeyes and smoke for an hour at 160F with mesquite pellets. Take them off and grill on your gas grill two minutes a side. Trust me, you'll never cook a steak different again
Old Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 AM   #7
captMike
Registered Users-pm+

captMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to Pirate
we have a Rectec 680 and love it, the customer service is great, a American speaking person answers the phone (during business hours) and if you leave message they return calls next working day. Quality pellets are the best, guess I am getting spoiled in my old age. Try a 1 1/2 or thicker steak or roast right out of freezer, put it on grill when you turn it on and let it defrost as it warms up, you will be amazed how juicy and tender it will be.
captMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
jrs568
Registered Users-pm+

jrs568 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I've used the green mountain grill brand pellets, the pellets academy sells and currently using the pit boss brand and have had great success and honstly didn't notice any performance differences. I have a GMG Daniel Boone if it matters. hope this helps in some way..

Last edited by jrs568; 07-21-2018 at 02:12 PM.
jrs568 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message