whole chicken - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2018, 02:50 AM   #1
reel thing
Registered Users-pm+

reel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Pirate
whole chicken

Has anyone smoked a whole chicken? Going to smoke a whole chicken on the pit Monday. Has anyone smoked one? Should be a lot quicker than a brisket I did last time. I guess 3 or 4 hours? Any suggestions?
reel thing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 03:22 AM   #2
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
IME, best two ways to smoke a whole chicke, beer butt or spatchcock. . I cook them hot. 275-300. Two things i do to a chicken is brine for at least 8 hours and inject with apple juice. .
Beer butt- drink about half a beer, insert beer in chickens butt and stand it up (they make stands for them. I recommend to use a stand). 3-4 hours until internal temp is 160.
Spatchcock- split it down the back. Lay it on the grill on the back. 2-3 hours to 160.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
fISHBUD
Don't call it a dream, call it a plan...

fISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to PiratefISHBUD has been promoted to Pirate
I agree with RB on the spatchcock.
After you cut the back out, place on a platter in refrig for at least an hour to get all the moisture out of the skin.
Inject if you have the needles.
Rub with butter or olive oil.
Season all over, even under the skin on the breast. When you think you have plenty of seasoning on add more.
I cook at 225-230 and check after 3 hours, but it usually takes more time.
Good luck and post pics.
fISHBUD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
TIMBOv2
That's "V-square",not "V-twin"

TIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to PirateTIMBOv2 has been promoted to Pirate
We’ve always done drunk (beer butt) chickens. Season bird up like normal. 1/2 beer 1/2 Italian dressing in beer can about 3/4 full in can. Cook until wings and legs start stretching out from body. Check doneness by slight twist on leg bone.
TIMBOv2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
Paul Marx
Registered Users-pm+

Paul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to Pirate
Always brine . I use a hot brine and simmer the chicken for 20 minutes . (SIMMER) not boil . Personally I think hot brine works better because it loosens up the fatty tissue and penetrates better . Then take it out let it cool to touch , insert a can , and put it on the pit . I'll remove the can once the bird firms up to allow smoke to reach the inside cavity . Take it off when internal reaches 160 .
Paul Marx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
I do them every year at Christmas to give away. Brine them overnight in Salt/Brown sugar and water. Then I smoke them for 3-4 hrs at 190-200 degrees. (watch the color of the bird to decide when to pull it) You are putting smoke on the bird, but not totally cooking it. I vacuum bag them and then they can be frozen. When you want to eat them, thaw them in the bag, then put the entire bird (in the bag) in boiling water for 1 hr.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #7
Haute Pursuit
Give it hell Remy!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
I quit smoking chickens because I prefer crispy skin. I spatchcock them and cook at 450-500 degrees on the griill or in our convection oven. I dry them out in the refrigerator uncovered the night before then rub the skin with grapeseed or olive oil, season them and either bake or grill them for 45 minutes, give or take, to 160-165 degrees. Let them rest for 10 minutes afterwards. They are crunchy skin and melt in your mouth great!
Haute Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
goatchze
Kickin' hippies' a**es and raisin' h*ll!

goatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirategoatchze has been promoted to Pirate
whole chicken

We smoke them all the time. As with turkey, I do 30 minutes per lb at 225F.

While a brine is nice, injecting them turns out just as well. I use a spiced, rich chicken broth for my injection. Adds flavor and keeps even the breast super moist.

I also highly recommend “trussing? the bird. That’s tying it up so it’s a pretty, compact shape. Helps with even cooking and, well, it just looks good. Plenty of YouTube videos out there to show you how.
goatchze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
the hook
Registered Users-pm+

the hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Pirate
I spatchcock, pieces and whole chicken/turkey...Use thermometers for doneness, imo...I did beerbutt ONCE...After the chicken WAS done, the beer still was not over temp that I couldn't hold it???...Did a search and found that 1( chicken, turkey cook from the OUTSIDE in...Just like EVERYTHING you put in the smoker or oven...2) the 'liquid' NEVER got hot enough to expell steam/vapors etc to actually season the meat before the breast hit 165/legs 180....3) The stomach cavity on birds is basically a sealed area from the meat, hence no transition of said flavoring......4) "IF" it got hot enough to steam, the vapors would exit the neck cavity anyway.....The chicken I cooked this way was good, but the seasonings would have been just as good without the can...imo, cooking the bird on a truss(so it stands like a beercan bird) works great...Someone mentioned brining...That works great too...

To each their own, and IF you think it works, fine...(libs think it's the shizz)
the hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
LA_Cox
Registered Users-pm+

LA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Spatchcock the bird and then brine for at least 4-5 hours. Cook direct at 400. Place birds breast down for the first 15 minutes. Flip over and grill another 40 minutes. You can't go wrong. Its quick and you won't be disappointed with the flavor/juiciness! I normally use 2 pecan chunks and a couple of chunks of apple wood on top of my charcoal. Just let the white smoke turn blue before you throw the birds on.

Late,

Cox
LA_Cox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message