If it rains, tie flies - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #11
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
Great photos. Love the reds cruising down the shoreline. Looks like you’ve figured out fly tying and then some.

Thanks. I've watched a lot of tying videos online as well as just thinking about what looks good. Hardest part for me when I'm experimenting with no recipe, is getting the material down in the right order to get the results I want. I have a good friend that has been tying for years that came over and showed me a few tricks. I send him pics of my flies and he critiques them. Some good and some not so good. I have taken a razor blade to quite a few flies...
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
Thanks. I've watched a lot of tying videos online as well as just thinking about what looks good. Hardest part for me when I'm experimenting with no recipe, is getting the material down in the right order to get the results I want. I have a good friend that has been tying for years that came over and showed me a few tricks. I send him pics of my flies and he critiques them. Some good and some not so good. I have taken a razor blade to quite a few flies...
That’s good to have someone look them over. I’ve got a box or two of flies that have never seen the water and never should.

I’ve looked at a couple of well known books of saltwater patterns and have been underwhelmed on how so few patterns seem tailored or even useful for Texas conditions. There’s lots of east coast pattern baitfish with hook points that ride down that are mostly a liability in a shallow marsh. I think there’s tons of room for innovation and improvements to many of the known saltwater flies out there or just coming up with newer and better.
karstopo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #13
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
That’s good to have someone look them over. I’ve got a box or two of flies that have never seen the water and never should.

I’ve looked at a couple of well known books of saltwater patterns and have been underwhelmed on how so few patterns seem tailored or even useful for Texas conditions. There’s lots of east coast pattern baitfish with hook points that ride down that are mostly a liability in a shallow marsh. I think there’s tons of room for innovation and improvements to many of the known saltwater flies out there or just coming up with newer and better.

Best tool in my fly tying kit is my stack of razor blades...
Check out Intheriffle and 239flies on Youtube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #14
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate

Since it’s still raining, I went for a little tying while watching football.

The little ones are Bullen Merri Specials in the colors suggested for black bream that live in coastal Australia. I’m not going to Australia, but black bream are close relatives of sheepshead so I want to see if they work on the prison permit.

The others are modified redfish crack and those occasionally get sheepshead. I downsized these some to see if those might work more often.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #15
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Tried some new fibers and a few tricks a friend showed me to make this walking Gotcha shrimp combo pattern. I like this one and will tie up a handful of these for sure.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #16
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

That’s interesting. So does the shrimp bounce along the bottom with those stiff looking legs? Seems like it might want to catch on or hang up on stuff.

I don’t much like weed guards on flies and would mostly rather just deal with the occasional hang up. Most hook point up patterns aren’t too bad about hanging up. I guess some places would be impossible to fish without a weed guarded fly. I use no weed guard hook point up patterns around oyster reefs all of the time and seldom get seriously hung up.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #17
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
I us like that about weed guard before. I didn't see a need for them, and in Texas bay's you Don't t need them very often. However since I started Bass fishing and weed guards are a must I have incorporated them into almost all my flies. I haven't seen that they cause me to miss fish, and I can always use my nippers to clip them off if I think they are a problem.
I am planning a trip to Florida for Snook, and weed guards are a must back in the mangroves. So learning to tie weed guards is an assets.
I found that I like a double guard out of liter material better than a single heavy one. For my flies #4 and larger I use 40# Fluro and tie it in a V shape. For smaller flies I use 20#. I use a double loop type guard for my topwater flies and I use 20 mono for them.
I do agree, there aren't many Texas fly patterns. I think it's because Redfish aren't very picky. If it's about the right size and color and you get it in front of them and moving away, they are going to eat it. But that doesn't mean we can't t come up with bunch of our own patterns, and please share any you like with us.
Have fun Tying and good fishing.
Popperdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #18
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Where I'm fishing half the time, there is a lot of widgeon grass and it gets wrapped up on the hook without the weed guard. I tied that fly for a specific sandy flat I fish. There is a little gut just off the shoreline that the fish will hang out in right on the bottom. There is no grass, weeds or even shell, just smooth hard sand. I'm hoping it will make little sand puffs as I strip it in. Worth a shot...
Old 09-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
Where I'm fishing half the time, there is a lot of widgeon grass and it gets wrapped up on the hook without the weed guard. I tied that fly for a specific sandy flat I fish. There is a little gut just off the shoreline that the fish will hang out in right on the bottom. There is no grass, weeds or even shell, just smooth hard sand. I'm hoping it will make little sand puffs as I strip it in. Worth a shot...

Absolutely, experimenting is what it’s all about. I got out this afternoon and found a few before the SW wind cranked up and sent me in.

Never tried anything but the Olive borski slider.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #20
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
I think the fly looks great. Kind of like a Crazy Charlie on stilts. It should also be good for Sheephead and black drum. I think Redfish have poor vision so I like the big bulky flies like my Crack flies. I Don't think you can throw too big of fly at a Redfish as long as it not too close. I also like my flies to push a lot of water some the fish can feel them moving through the water.
For your conditions, with clean sand along the shore and then heavy grass, I usually use a lightly weighted Crack fly. One with bead chain eyes. That way i can let it sink on the sand or swim it over the grass. It just really hard to have the right fly tied on for the conditions. I know I get really frustrated when I go weightless for grass and the fish are in the cuts, then I switch to weighted and the next fish is cruising over the grass. But that's fishing and why we love it.
Popperdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message