The CORRECT Way To Replace A Rod Tip! Yes I Said The CORRECT Way! - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Rod building forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Scuba Chris
Registered Users-pm+

Scuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerScuba Chris has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
The CORRECT Way To Replace A Rod Tip! Yes I Said The CORRECT Way!

The "Myth" Of Using A Lighter To Replace A Rod Tip Is Explained!

Last week i took a fall fighting a fish. The mainline snapped putting me on my back. That fall dislodged the rod tip insert. To get me by the following day i decided to temporarily super glue the insert back in. Some of my rod building friends like Mark Gonsalves cautioned me that this is a temporary fix, which it was. Today i went to visit Hawaii's best known rod builder/instructor/teacher/expert Brian Kimata, owner of Brian's Fishing Supply. Brian even gives free classes on rod building so he knows his stuff.

Before leaving i researched how to repair my rod tip on YouTube. Virtually everyone gave the same lecture on using a lighter to heat & melt the epoxy glue holding the rod tip to the blank's tip. Then pull it off. Sounds simple, right? Well i found out it's a half-true myth. If the rod is a custom rod, yes you can pull the rod tip off by using a lighter. This is because a rod builder will use a thermo plastic adhesive to attach the rod tip. The melting point of this adhesive is lower then the melting point of the rod's blank so the tip can be removed safely.

But if the rod is a factory rod, which over 90% are, the factory epoxy glue has a much higher melting point then the rod's blank so the actual rod itself will droop & melt way before the epoxy does. I was told maybe 1 out of 15 factory rods "might" be lucky enough to be fixed this way. This same info was shared with me today by not only seasoned rod builders but also by a rod building instructor.

I'm so glad that my friend Brian Kimata took the time today to properly explain & show me how to do my own repairs. My other fishing buddy & master rod builder Mark Gonsalves kindly offered to do it for me but i really wanted to learn this on my own. Always good to have great buds to back you up!

With Brian's permission i'm going to share his knowledge with everyone watching this video. Even a slow guy like me did this under 8 minutes on my first rod tip repair. If i can do it, anyone can. LOL!

Attached Images

Scuba Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Permit Rat
Windknot Light Tackle & Fly

Permit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to Pirate
I remember I used to mount my tips on a new build, using the Gudebrod brand hot glue stick. Then when I moved to Florida, the heat of day in Summer would melt the glue. So I started epoxy-ing my tip tops on. By the grace of God, I never lost the ring out of a tip top and have not to this day, although I know I am probably fishing on borrowed time.

My question for all you out there......Does the Flex Cote brand of glue stick have a high enough melting point to withstand Texas heat? If so, I will switch over, because with epoxy, you're pretty much screwed if you break a tip.

One thing that I have been able to do with epoxied tip tops, is to heat the top with a lighter, being careful not to overheat (use the base of the flame....it is cooler) and then immediately place the top under the coldest water possible....ice water is preferable. The rapid expansion-then-cooling of the metal tube will sometimes break the bond of the epoxy. This does not always work but I try it first.
Permit Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
Fishsurfer
Snakesurf

Fishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to Pirate
I use the Flex Coat adhesive stick and have not had problems. I have noticed that they may have changed the composition of the material because I see a more whitish color one now. I use the more yellow colored stick. Although have not tried it, I was thinking that in a pinch a piece of a plastic bag, like a sandwich bag, might work also. I will have to try it out and see. Also if you apply pulling pressure on the tip while heating just the tip it will break most glues before you damage the blank tip. I also cut small chips of the stick and put them in the barrel then heat the barrel / tip top and place it on the blank tip. If you don't heat the barrel you will not get as good of a bond.

Last edited by Fishsurfer; 04-16-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Fishsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Swampland

Swampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to Pirate
If you use the Flex Coat tip glue correctly and get a sliver of it inside the tube and put some on the blank, heat the tipthen the blank and put the tip on by twisting it back and forth I guarantee you it won’t come look in the tires heat. It gets hot in Louisiana as much as it does in Texas.
Swampland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
richg99
richg99

Location: North Houston (FM1960/Champions area)& Tenn. in the Summers
richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
Great suggestion about putting some glue into the rod tip. I'll start doing that now.

Most of my rod tips that have to be replaced are due to the end of the rod being broken in some way. I either sand down the rod slightly, or find a larger tippet and glue it on.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
jimj100
Registered Users-pm+

jimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Piratejimj100 has been promoted to Pirate
when you have tip that is epoxied on, u might want to try putting it in boiling water. When i had to replace a gimbal, thats what i did. only gets to 212 degrees, so it can't overheat that much. hot enough to comprimise the epoxy, but not to do too much damage to the rod.
also, when removing a tip top, tie string to it, and PULL as you heat. that way, the moment it's hot enough to melt the glue, it'll pop off.
That's all i got...
jimj100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
Swampland

Swampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to Pirate
I have to disagree about factory rods using highly heat resistant epoxy. I do many, many repairs a month, somewhere around 60 or 70 and tips are the majority. I use a lighter and within seconds the tip is off and ready for a new one. Without melting the rod tip I might add. Among the factory Todd that I repair tips on are Duckett, Garcia,Falcon, Castaway, Daiwa, Shimano and many others. The tips are the easiest item to remove from a rod.
Swampland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message