Gmc sierra transmission issue - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2019, 12:44 AM   #1
fisheye48
Registered Users-pm+

fisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Pirate
Gmc sierra transmission issue

I have a 2014 sierra 1500. Transmission went out on me last week with 111k miles. I bought the truck used and never had any issues with it until 2 weeks ago coming home from louisiana towing my 22 extreme. About 40 miles from home it felt like the transmission was surging but not slipping because it would only do it going up a hill. Once i unhooked the boat it continued to do it but not as bad until friday when it finally quit working all together. Anyone ever had a problem with this year model doing this?
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
When was the last time the transmission was serviced? What does the fluid look like? Were you towing in over drive?
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
ibtbone
John 3:16

ibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag

torque converter issue. there are a couple of bulletins for flushing the trans including the torque converter and replacing it with a new and improved formula and driving it, it usually will cure the issue.
ibtbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 12:07 AM   #4
fisheye48
Registered Users-pm+

fisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
When was the last time the transmission was serviced? What does the fluid look like? Were you towing in over drive?

No. it was in tow/haul mode the whole trip. I tried to have the dealer flush it but they declined since there was no service records on the truck so they nor i had a clue to when it was serviced last. i did have them change fluid and filter about 15k ago
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye48 View Post
No. it was in tow/haul mode the whole trip. I tried to have the dealer flush it but they declined since there was no service records on the truck so they nor i had a clue to when it was serviced last. i did have them change fluid and filter about 15k ago
Never let anyone do the flush. Just drop the pan, change the filter, and refill. The important thing is keeping an eye on the fluid color. Not sure what your service manual states, but as a general rule you should change the fluid every 30k-40k miles. Transmission fluid has conditioners in them that keep the gaskets, seals, etc. in good shape, and it's those conditioners you will replenish and keep good. If you let it go and the color of the fluid starts to darken, go ahead and change, then plan on doing it again sooner for the next time as you will not be able to get all the fluid out of the system.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Davidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to Pirate
My 2017 only has 40,000 miles and it is acting funny. Sometimes takes a sec to engage then some time there is a pause in the shift and you can feel it hit hard. Hopefully it breaks before the warranty is up.
Davidsel47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
bwguardian
archTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsel47 View Post
My 2017 only has 40,000 miles and it is acting funny. Sometimes takes a sec to engage then some time there is a pause in the shift and you can feel it hit hard. Hopefully it breaks before the warranty is up.
Take it in to the dealer for record...it's probably set some codes in the puter.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #8
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Davidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
Take it in to the dealer for record...it's probably set some codes in the puter.
Thks
Davidsel47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #9
ibtbone
John 3:16

ibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirate
Your truck had power train warranty coverage for 5 years of 100000 miles. You may still be in warranty. Either way, the dealership knows about the service bulletin and the improved fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ibtbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message