Weeding out the nibblers - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > The Catfish Lounge
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #1
thedudeabides
Registered Users-pm+

thedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunner
Weeding out the nibblers

Took the girls fishing and had a blast. We baited a spot with sour corn and returned just 2 hours later.

What is your best technique for weeding out small cats? Simple as bigger hook and bait?We used #4 hooks.

I know I didn't let the spot sit long enough. My main goal was to get them some fish so didn't mind the little fish. Today we focused on getting Sloane and paige (8 and 6) to bait their own hook with night crawlers! They did great and reminded me I often underestimate them. Now if I can get them to dehook and clean them!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
thedudeabides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #2
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Weeding out the nibblers

I’ve only baited a place in Livingston once. It drew billions of 7” channel cats.
Fishing with punch bait we found that a Huge glob of bait caught 12 to 15 inch fish more often.
Once was enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by shadslinger; 09-02-2019 at 05:57 AM.
shadslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
thedudeabides
Registered Users-pm+

thedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadslinger View Post
I’ve only baited a place in Livingston once. It drew billions of 7” channel cats.
Fishing with punch bait we found that a Huge glob of bait caught 12 to 15 inch fish more often.
Once was enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
7 inches was about right! Only a couple keepers. They were fishing with pretty light poles so didn't want a monster hookup!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
Liv'n_the_dream
Registered Users-pm+

Liv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to PirateLiv'n_the_dream has been promoted to Pirate
I’d say the smiles on their faces was worth the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liv'n_the_dream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Garzas23
ADDICTED2FISHING

Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Garzas23 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Thats just great! Nothing like it
Garzas23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
thedudeabides
Registered Users-pm+

My youngest one got out fished about 5 to 1. I laughed when she acknowledged she would have caught more fish if she had her bait in the water and hands out of the snacks!

Old 09-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Whitey
"Converting Bait to Filets Since 1964"

Whitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
Dude - a few things that work for me on Conroe.

1. Find a drop off with some kind of structure in 15' of water close to deeper water 30' or more.

2. Use 20% range cubes instead of soured corn. For some reason, soured corn or milo seems to attract the small catfish.

3. The first time you bait a hole, use 20-25# of range cubes thrown around the structure and use 25# in a pillow case with a weight (3-4 bricks or 1 small concrete block to hold it down). Poke lots of holes in the pillow case or it will fill with air and float to the top within 24 hours.

4. Subsequent trips to the same hole you would throw out 10-15# of range cubes 20 minutes prior to fishing. The more often it is is baited, the more consistent the spot will be.

5. Two things that have worked well for me weeding out the small cats:

A) When you start catching the small ones on bottom, try fishing 2' above the bottom. Sometimes the big ones are higher in the water column.

B) We usually fish nightcrawlers on a knocker rig with a 1/2 oz egg sinker goes directly to the swivel and hook..... i.e. The weight sits directly on the hook OR we fish it with a split shot 6-8" above the hook. Recently, I've been experimenting with a 1/16 oz crappie jig head and as much nightcrawler as you can get on the hook. It seems to work really well as the jig and worm is falling the larger fish inhale like a vape fiend.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Whitey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
thedudeabides
Registered Users-pm+

Whitey thanks for the detailed and thoughtful response. I have tried cattle cubes with decent luck. To date I have only tried timber near the creek channel but hope to target some better structure with clearvu and navionics. I add a few tablespoons of bacon grease as well (who knows if it helps).

I like the rigging ideas. Any issues with cats straightening the crappie jig hooks? Sounds like you are fishing at anchor. I think I have some glamorous ideas of drifting catching monster cats on some santee cooper rigs if i can locate some shad. I hope to spend more and more time on the water with the girls while we can. Doesn't really matter what we catch!

Old 09-20-2019, 05:07 AM   #9
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
I think I have some glamorous ideas of drifting catching monster cats on some santee cooper rigs if i can locate some shad. I hope to spend more and more time on the water with the girls while we can. Doesn't really matter what we catch!
[/QUOTE]

Give that drift fishing a try soon as the season is here to do some good fishing for ig cats that way. A lot of big cats in Conroe and Livingston.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
McSpoon
Good fishing and great friends

McSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to PirateMcSpoon has been promoted to Pirate
Great report, lots of smiles for sure. And definitely a great thread, it was a good read with some great input, this is what makes 2 cool so cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message