Sage Motive- 8 Wt. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
blacksheep76
Registered Users-pm+

blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Sage Motive- 8 Wt.

I've been looking at getting a new 8 wt. rod and have read quite a few articles regarding the Sage Motive. Most everything I have read about it so far has been pretty positive. Just curious, anyone have any any experience fishing with the Motive? Pro's and cons? Thanks in advance.
blacksheep76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
Worm Drowner
Registered Users-pm+

Worm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to Pirate
I just bought a 10 wt Motive a few months back. Seems to be a pretty decent rod. It certainly casts better than the idiot casting it! LOL

Go to your local shop and try casting it and a few other brands/models and see what suits your style. It may be the Sage or it may be something completely different.
Worm Drowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
blacksheep76
Registered Users-pm+

blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)blacksheep76 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Thanks Worm Drowner
blacksheep76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Worm Drowner
Registered Users-pm+

Worm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to Pirate
Keep us posted on what you buy. I always enjoy hear about someone's new gear. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
rtoler
Registered Users-pm+

rtoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Piratertoler has been promoted to Pirate
A lot of it is in the line. Go to a place where you can try your line with the rod. Don't forget, throwing a weighted fly is harder than casting a little piece of yarn....
rtoler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Worm Drowner
Registered Users-pm+

Rtoler is spot on. Good advice!
Old 07-20-2019, 03:18 AM   #7
molokaipake
Registered Users-pm+

molokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateermolokaipake has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Sage Motive is a good rod and is rated for salt water. Get a Sage Spectrum max reel to match the rod. It’s a good combo for anything. I use that combo in eight weight for Bonefish. I use Rio Flats pro line on it. One nice thing about going with Sage is you buy into a lifetime warranty with excellent customer service, just make sure you register your rod after your purchase. Another thing is Sage is made 100% in the USA, so you’re supporting American families that live and work on Bainbridge Island in Seattle. My website is: Hallelujahhoufishing.com. I use Sage exclusively as well as a few other brands, but all made in the USA.
molokaipake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
The Motive is a fast rod. It will cast your line like a cannon but isn't very forgiving of mistakes on timing. If you are a good caster, it will add distance and accuracy. If you are still working on your timing, get some quick lessons. Rio Flats pro is a good line for this rod since it has a fairly aggressive taper so will load up quickly. For more presentation and really bombing out the line, try the Bonefish taper which has a longer taper to the head. A lot of the lines on the market are 1/2wt heavy and help these fast rods load a little quicker so make sure you read/ask about the line you are getting. Finding the line that works with your casting style on that particular rod is key. You really can't go wrong with that rod.
I really like the Motive and have fished a 10wt quite a few times. I found it a little tough on the short casts, say out to 20' or so, but beyond 30' it rocks. Tons of backbone to really put the pressure on the fish.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #9
Killerfuzz
Registered Users-pm+

Killerfuzz is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I use this on my saltwater lines it shoots through the wind. I fish in the surf and it picks off the water nice. I use it on a 10wt Orvis Recon, 8wt Orvis H2 and a 9wt Echo BAG Quickshot. It's kinda hard to fish the Texax surf with a stripping basket. The line picks up off the surf quick but not as good as sinking line.
Attached Images

Killerfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message