Truck AC issues - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
jr22dad
Registered Users-pm+

jr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Pirate
Truck AC issues

2014 Chevy 1500. AC blows colder on passenger side than driver and still not very cold. Took into local shop that has been in area for years. They came back and said condenser was no good. Well, i aint much of a mechanic to argue. I had let a friend sit in the truck who is a service mgr at a chevy dealership before I took it to shop. He said he thought condensor was about to go. This is why I said go ahead and do the work to the local shop. $1500 later, New actuator, new expansion valve, new AC condensor, evacuate and recharge. Next day I pick it up, drive it home. Still aint cooling like I think it should. I wait 2 more days and it aint blowing cool at all. Wife and I driving around with windows down. Turned it off and on every now and then. Nothing cools. Out of the blue it just starts working, for an hour or so. So I take it back to the shop. I nicely tell them something still aint right. They had it for 4 days and still cant figure it out. They have changed hoses and filters, so they say, and it still aint fixed. I had to have truck for the week so I picked it up. Since I have spent 1500 so far, i hate to take it somewhere else and spend even more, but I'm not very confident they can fix it. They said bring it back when I have a few more days to leave it and they will figure it out. Really? They have had it a week and it aint right. Makes me wonder if I needed to spend the 1500 to begin with. Any ideas would be really helpful. I have a thermometer in vent and it wont get ant cooler than 78 .Thanks guys
jr22dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
airtech10
Registered Users-pm+

airtech10 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Your original problem was most likely a leak at the condenser allowing the system to become low, thus poor cooling on one side. Very, very common failure on the 2014 GM trucks. Condenser replacement and proper recharge with only a small amount of oil added should have put you back to working unless there were other problems present at the same time.
Time for a good A/C tech to start doing a complete temp drop test of all accessible system parts with recording of these temps and system pressures. This will give a base to know if system is working properly.
Moving to use of a scanner to examine temp blend door info and compressor request are next in line. If compressor is not on, then no way it can cool. If compressor is working only at times, then this should be corrected. If high mileage vehicle, there may be a problem with an excessively worn clutch failing to engage.
Too many variables to give an exact answer, but sounds like someone is throwing parts at it. These trucks are not that hard to fix when a knowledgeable tech is doing the work.
airtech10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
jr22dad
Registered Users-pm+

jr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Piratejr22dad has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtech10 View Post
Your original problem was most likely a leak at the condenser allowing the system to become low, thus poor cooling on one side. Very, very common failure on the 2014 GM trucks. Condenser replacement and proper recharge with only a small amount of oil added should have put you back to working unless there were other problems present at the same time.
Time for a good A/C tech to start doing a complete temp drop test of all accessible system parts with recording of these temps and system pressures. This will give a base to know if system is working properly.
Moving to use of a scanner to examine temp blend door info and compressor request are next in line. If compressor is not on, then no way it can cool. If compressor is working only at times, then this should be corrected. If high mileage vehicle, there may be a problem with an excessively worn clutch failing to engage.
Too many variables to give an exact answer, but sounds like someone is throwing parts at it. These trucks are not that hard to fix when a knowledgeable tech is doing the work.
And this is what i have been told by a service mgr in your neck of the woods. My problem is when do i let go and pay even more than I already have, or hold them to the fire to find a way to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
airtech10
Registered Users-pm+

airtech10 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Since you have stated that you are not very confident that the shop can fix it, I would say one more chance on their nickel. If not fixed, then time to move on and find someone that can. Save all receipts and estimates, after telling them you are going to find someone that can fix it. May not result in any money coming back, but is worth a try. Remember paying by credit card gives a lot of leverage.
If they come up with some other great expense, time to bail on them.
airtech10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
jr22dad
Registered Users-pm+

Truck A/C Issues UPDATE for those that might care, LOL

Well, after 1500 and 10 total days in the shop, 3-4 at a time cuz i wanted it on the weekends AC or not, we have cold air. For how long is anyones guess.

Mechanic shop was about to give up after replacing many items, according to them, until I said they could just deal with my bank if they were giving up. They decided to take it to a local Large GMC dealership to see if they could diagnose the problem on their dime. I said as long as its on your dime, I dont care, just fix it. Dealership had it all this week until today, so 4 days.

Bottom line is all 4 ACTUATORS had to be recalibrated and SYNCHRONIZED. They had been recalibrated or so I was told, but the key was the dealership SYNCHRONIZED them after taking the whole front dash off.

Hopefully this will nip it in the bud. Wife keeps telling me to sell it, but I haven't seen anything I want out there. Very few Silverados around that have 6.5' ft bed the way I want it.

Thank for everyone's input