If it rains, tie flies - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #21
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
Heck of a flattie! Flounder have shown tremendous restraint in eating my fly offerings.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #22
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
That's what ir's all about. I think flounder are over looked by a lot of fly fisherman. Yes, you are not going to sight cast to them very often but they can be found in predictable areas. Along rocky bulkhead, drains, mud flats by oyster reefs to name a few. I always like to bounce a fly along the bottom around these areas. And ha That's some good eaten.
Stay safe and stay away from those tailing loops.
Popperdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #23
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate

I might have to try my Teeny sink tip this year on the flatfish. I haven’t enjoyed using that line all that much, but maybe i might in the right spot. So far, I’ve only really gone after flounder with floating line, weighted flies, and fluorocarbon leaders. I can’t fish that set up much more than 4-5 feet and hope to stay near the bottom. I’ll lengthen the leader as much as I can to get a bit more depth. Tungsten weights sink over twice as fast as lead per equal weight, I use small tungsten dumbbells and beads on my fly patterns when I need the fastest sink rate.

Last year, I found a decent amount along grassy and shell dotted shorelines and many of those jumped out of the water after bait. That makes it a lot easier to know where to cast. I didn’t get out in the bay and marsh much this spring and summer. When I’m out there, I try to hit any edge with water flowing by, pilings, oyster reefs, the edges of channels. But if the redfish are showing up shallow, I might forget about flounder for a while. There’s a lot of things going on out there and if the sight fishing is promising that wins every time.

Flounder, in my experience, don’t seem to be too particular about the exact pattern or color. They take redfish crack, shrimp patterns, baitfish patterns, the borski slider, clousers. One thing about the flies is that flounder tend to suck them in better and I don’t hesitate to give a little strip set to them almost immediately after I get the thump. They stay on much better all the way to the net with flies than I ever had them do with soft plastics. The main thing I’ve tried to really work on is getting the presentation right which seems to be something of a crawl and little hop here and there and some pauses. I’ve had flounder hit a fly that I wasn’t moving, maybe the current was. I definitely drift flies for flounder if the current is right.
karstopo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #24
lechon
Registered Users-pm+

lechon is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I got some great ideas from the photos you guys have shared, thanks for posting
lechon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #25
Dallasyoung
Registered Users-pm+

Dallasyoung is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
Tungsten weights sink over twice as fast as lead per equal weight, I use small tungsten dumbbells and beads on my fly patterns when I need the fastest sink rate.
I like using tungsten too, mainly because of the smaller size needed for weight, but how do you figure that per “equal weight” tungsten sinks twice as fast? Tungsten is actually more dense than lead so technically speaking the same weight would sink slower. Tungsten is heavier by relative size, allowing less bulk on flies and more weight in a smaller volume.
Dallasyoung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #26
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasyoung View Post
I like using tungsten too, mainly because of the smaller size needed for weight, but how do you figure that per “equal weight” tungsten sinks twice as fast? Tungsten is actually more dense than lead so technically speaking the same weight would sink slower. Tungsten is heavier by relative size, allowing less bulk on flies and more weight in a smaller volume.
https://www.manictackleproject.com/f...ymphsinrivers/

Take a look at this article. So 0.6 grams of tungsten sinks in 2 seconds about 5.5 meters. 0.8 grams of lead, more weight, only covers 2.5 meters in that same time period.

Use less weight for easier casting and get the fly pattern down faster, that’s a win/win situation. Tungsten costs more, but I think it’s often worth it in more fish caught versus alternative materials.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #27
Captwood
Registered Users-pm+

Captwood is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Looking good.
Captwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #28
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

Steve Farrar Blend Baitfish. I added in some grizzly hackle for a tail as a different twist. Slow sinking pattern for cool weather Speckled trout. Fly rod version of a mirrorlure softdine.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #29
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+