Trotline rigging - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > The Catfish Lounge
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
gm
Registered Users-pm+

gm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirate
Trotline rigging

Question on rigging trotline. Is it best to put small floats (plastic soda bottle maybe) spaced every 30-40 feet or so along the main line to keep the baits up off the bottom?
gm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
teebo1
Registered Users-pm+

teebo1 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
trotline rigging

answer depends on where it is set at. are you tying ends to surface points such as stumps, floats, or other objects, and how deep would water be. i can offer suggestion to simply make your weight line drops from the main line longer than your hook stagings. this i think would eliminate the baits from being on the bottom. i fish mostly in waters that have no stumps showing so i use another method. i will place a heavy weight (concrete weight about 1/3 the depth of 5 gallon bucket) on the bottom with line running to the surface and pulled tight to a float. about 6-9feet up the line from the concrete weight on the bottom i will tie a stick about 1/2" in diameter about 12" long crossways in the line. after doing this for both ends i will tie a very large snap swivel on my trotline ends with a weight about 6-9 feet from the ends of the trotline and another weight in the middle with a dropline to it about 1 foot longer than my hook stagings. when i finish running my line i simply let it go and it slides down the line to the stick i placed on the anchor lines and the entire trotline runs along the bottom instead of having the big bow from the surface to the bottom and back to the surface. this method requires me to use a small grappling hook to pull my line up when checking it and baiting it. i think it might also discourage lowlifes from trying to fish my line up with their paddle also. downside is these same lowlifes will occasionally pull the entire anchor/float line up to see if trotline is on it resulting in lots of slack in line and trotline laying on the bottom. (figure getting hung up lots here).. hope this helps and is not clear as mud..
good luck with em..
teebo

Last edited by teebo1; 07-16-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: clear explanation
teebo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
gm
Registered Users-pm+

gm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the info, and sorry for the delayed reply, i've been traveling for work.

Anyhow, It is setup with heavy weights on each and, and a jug on each end with line long enough to keep the jug afloat. It's basically just stretched tight between the two end weights.

The water is anywhere from 10-15' deep in the last place I set it.

I may have to give your method a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
whsalum
Registered Users-pm+

whsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Pirate
which lake are you trot lining in?
whsalum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
gm
Registered Users-pm+

Livingston
Old 08-14-2019, 11:08 PM   #6
whsalum
Registered Users-pm+

whsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Pirate
You'll do much better on Lake Livingston if you'll stretch the lead line tight, adjust the depth of your lead line by shortening or lengthening the lines on your floats. I trot lined Livingston for many years and always had better luck suspending my lines and staying off the bottom. I normally concentrated on water 14 feet or less and fished my lines about 3 foot under the surface. I know it sounds crazy but it works. What part of the Lake are you fishing?
whsalum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
gm
Registered Users-pm+

South end of the lake, around wolf creek park.