Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
WesTex1
Registered Users-pm+

WesTex1 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
What gauge wire?

I am getting ready to rewire my boat and know I should look at a chart to get answers but figured I would ask here first. Do I need 2 gauge wire for battery cables to run from batteries to perko, bus bars, fuse panel etc. or can I get away with something like 4 gauge. My boat is a simple center console aluminum 18’ Duracraft and all electric components will be located in close proximity to each other. Also, I will be installing a 55lb 12 volt Terrova with about a 10-12 ft run to the battery, I was planning on using 6 gauge for that but didn’t know if that was overkill as well, thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WesTex1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
Jigger
Registered Users-pm+

Jigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to PirateJigger has been promoted to Pirate
I used 4ga when I rewired my boat from the motor to the console house and start batteries.

6ga will be fine on that long of a run for the troller. They say 8 but typically batteries are close to troller.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
Cat O' Lies
Kamikaze

Cat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to Pirate
This link will help you with your wiring requirements. You'd be fine with 10awg to instrument panel. 4-6 awg for battery to outboard.
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...e-And-Ampacity
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nal-Tech-Specs

More info
https://newwiremarine.com/

Last edited by Cat O' Lies; 06-30-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Cat O' Lies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
All 12v or any 24??

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
hurricane matt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
WesTex1
Registered Users-pm+

WesTex1 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane matt View Post
All 12v or any 24??

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

12v sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WesTex1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
TheGoose
Registered Users-pm+

TheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to Pirate
The gauge of wire from the batteries to the motor depends on the size of the motor and how many amps it pulls starting up. And the total distance of the wires.

The distance is the (+) and (-) combined. So if it’s 10 ft to the battery it’s really a 20 ft run.

Here is a great site to buy wire etc from.

https://www.genuinedealz.com/

FYI I had trouble finding out what size battery cable I needed for my 90 ETEC but I ended up using #2 with no problems. If you use a smaller cable it can drop the voltage at the starter and possibly shorten it's life or start a little slower.

From the site listed above #2 wire is $2.88/ft for #2 AWG vs. #4 being $1.72 per foot. So for a 20 ft length (total + and -) you'd need $57.60 for #2 AWG vs $34.40. Not a huge difference in the grand scheme and maybe a little piece of mind.

Make sure you use marine grade tinned copper.

Last edited by TheGoose; 07-03-2020 at 11:17 AM.
TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
TheGoose
Registered Users-pm+

TheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to Pirate
It may have been overkill too but i bought a pair of hydraulic crimpers (cheap ebay tool) to make my battery connections and they really did a good job. No problem with the connections and it makes a really tight, neat looking crimp.
TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
I've bought over 700 ft of wire from these guys when I rewired my current rig.

By far the best price I've found for pre-tined marine wire

For things like battery cables, etc, they will even put the connectors on for you if you know the exact length you need

As for sizing, on all my boats, I use a wire size calculator, size the wiring for less than 3% voltage drop, and remember, wire run, or length of run, is round trip, you count both positive and negative wires when figuring length to calculate wire size.

https://www.genuinedealz.com

Relentless
TXFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message