2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Bowfishing in Houston City limits

14K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  reba3825 
#1 ·
I live in the Meyerland area, right off of South Post Oak and 610. Brays bayou runs right through it. I called the local game wardens and they said they had no issue with be bowfishing the bayou as long as I was following the law.

That's the question I have. What is the law when it comes to bowfishing within city limits? I called a HPD friend of mine and he said no because it would be considered hunting. I said bowfishing was fishing, not hunting, but he argues that fishing with a bow and arrow, in houston city limits, is considered hunting, doesn't matter what you're targeting, it's hunting if you are using a bow.

Does anyone know if it's legal? I researched and researched this and can't find anything and I really don't know who to call to receive a legitimate answer.

#4 ·
I hear you and I'll check it out. I know I can travel other places to do this but all I really wanted to do was to catch a few carp for bait and the bayou is right by my house. I don't have to get them a bow. I was just wanting to have a little fun. I'll just have to bait a few holes in the bayou and get em' with a cast net. No biggie..

#10 ·
I went bow fishing last weekend in sugar land on Oyster Creek with my friend who is a Fort Bend county sheriff if that tells you anything
Fort Bend county is not Harris County and the section of Brays Bayou that I would fish is within Houston city limits. If he has any contacts at the Harris county sheriff department that he could ask, that would be awesome.

#12 ·
Have to check City Ordinance. Dallas has an ordinance about "no projectiles", which keeps us off of Ray Hubbard. Except that I have more control over my "projectile" than most fishermen I know. What's more dangerous, my arrow aiming practically straight down away from everyone or they guy casting a double treble hook plug toward people on the bank?

#13 ·
Just curious but what exactly would you she shooting for? I don't bowfish but I had a strange encounter at the dog park off Allen parkway near the water. Saw a large fun break the water a few times in a curling motion. Almost like a serpent. I looked high and low on the Internet and couldn't find anything that matched the description. The closes thing I found was called a bowfin but I don't think that's possible

#14 ·
I wouldn't doubt that you saw a bowfin in there. There are tons of sunfish that are an available food source for them in the bayous. I was particularly going to target carp, for alligator gar bait. I catch big catfish out of the bayous. There's numerous species swimming around in there. I've seen common carp, grass carp, sunfish, bass, catfish, gar, big *** plecos (like 5 pounds), tons of mullet...

#15 ·
Is Brays Bayou considered a City of Houston Park? The only statute that would pertain to archery arrows is in regards to city parks. If it is just part of the bayou that is not a designated park, you shoud be fine. Plus the City of Houston police will usually give you a warning before they ticket to you, as long as you have your fishing liscense and don't lie to them about what you are doing. But remember you are going to have people watching you, so don't give bowfishing a bad name. Put safety first and don't shoot anything you are not taking with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.