2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

South Texas gar

25K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  David. 
#1 ·
Gar season has picked up really nice. Went out today and saw a few 5 footers rolling but out of shooting range. Got a shot at one but spooled out before it reached.

#19 · (Edited)
Have caught and eaten a few big ones growing up as well out of the Nueces. Friend of mine has a funny story of a 7 footer he caught back around 90' on the lake side of the dam of Mathis one night and smashed his head with dam boulders. Him and another buddy drug it back to his old 280z after a few hours of bass fishing the rocks and loaded the dead fish in with head/teeth back of hatch with tail through middle of front seat. They get about twenty minutes down the road other side of Orange Grove and the mfer came back to life on them. Lol. Pulled over to side of road real quick and it trashed his car. Lol.

We did hang quite a few big heads on back of property fence post and bbq the fish up. The original grilled "on the half shell" fish. Lol. Didn't do the fry thing back then cause didn't know about cooking it like that.

#32 ·
Do you go over to the other sections and tell them "wonder if anyone knows there is a limit of 3 per person in Texas these day." on redfish? We know the laws, just like you. Oh, and it's 1 per person per day and we still can't kill em all, so go troll somewhere else.

#22 ·
If it was referenced to me. I catch about one a month or one every other month. I don't keep more than I am able to eat within a months time. They say they are scarce but there are tons of them everywhere!! Stop reading newspaper articles they are all lies. Ill take a video of next time I go out and you can see how many monsters are out there.

#23 ·
if it was referenced to me. I catch about one a month or one every other month. I don't keep more than i am able to eat within a months time. They say they are scarce but there are tons of them everywhere!! Stop reading newspaper articles they are all lies. Ill take a video of next time i go out and you can see how many monsters are out there.
Don't know where this fella gets info or lives, but here in the valley gar are overpopulated in fresh water!! And good eating!!

#25 ·
Gar

The law is the law on bag limits now, down here we have an overabundance of gar, spotted and alligator gar. They are in the resacas, canals and even monsters in the arroyo, which is salt water. These creatures are prehistoric almost and will always be in the valley water systems for generations to come.

#35 ·
Mango I sent you a pm with my number. But to answer your question 70-90 is prime time in the spring after these fronts. Very hot early summer months bring the big ones out to play. The females are usually the huge ones and they usually have smaller males around them. If you can hold off on the smaller males you can nail one of the big females. Usually I shoot at the first ones I track if I need some meat in the fridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.