2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Boat ramps? Need help

8K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Dtrojcak 
#1 ·
New to the richmond Rosenberg are just wanting to know where any boat ramps are to the Colorado River and other surrounding areas.. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

#4 ·
I just launched at the Altair ramp.
It's a long narrow ramp.
It's got asphalt with grooves cut, but it's got about a foot of river mud covering the last 40' or so.
Truck didn't spin in 2wd because of the asphalt bottom, but it sure makes a mess walking through it to launch.
I took my crocks off and walked down barefoot, but rubber boots would've been better.
Since this is my first time here, I'm not sure if the mud is normal or if it's just because of the recent flood.

#7 ·
You should be fine.
There's an asphalt bottom, so once you get past the mud, you're fine.
It's just messy walking back to boat after launching and walking to get truck to reload.
And you'll get mud on your truck, boat, and trailer.
The mud should be dirt by now and should wash away with a few rains.

Texana has several ramps and they're all decent.
That's my go to place, but I'm still learning where/how to fish it.
I always catch something, but it never seems to be in the same location.

#14 ·
Good to know, thanks for the info.

I've only launched there once, and I went a couple of miles upstream and found no water shallower than about 3-4'.
I'd like to go back again to see how far upstream I can go.

We used to have a deer lease on the Guadalupe and I quickly learned to always go upstream from the launch point.
The first time I went out, I ended up spinning my hub on some rocks coming back. I couldn't rev the engine enough to make it all the way back and ended up having to drag the boat up a bank in a different spot.
Since then, I've always gone upstream.
If anything goes wrong, I can always drift back downstream and use the trolling motor to control the drift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.