2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

New to Bowfishing- General Advise

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  halenajuli 
#1 ·
I have a 24ft SeaArk and a friend told me i should turn it into a bowfishing boat. I have always bass fished, but he said bowfishing is like heroin compared to rod and reel fishing. Is my boat to big? Most bowfishing boats I have seen are under 20ft... Also what would a good archery deck set up cost me? Sorry to ask such simple questions, but I am a complete rookie right now.

#5 ·
I am very prudent with my money, but not cheap. After much research, I used 4000 lumen 120VDC, cool light (tried warm on Lake Travis, cool penetrate much deepr, at least when the water is clear. LED flood lights, off the net, $39.00 each plus shipping ($200 at Bass Pro for 12VDC). PVC conduit and fittings, T's and LB's, LR's tie wrapped to stiles on my Boatright (minimal$$$). Honda 2000 watt generator (overkill, but just $200 less than the 800W version) runs all night and keeps my 2 trolling batteries charged. Gen whgs 49#. My 2 trolling motor batts are North of 60#. And it will keep running.................................................................................................................

#11 ·
the good thing about bowfishing is , its fun no matter how you do it. Just get started , it is not a sport that you need to spend alot of money in. just get out there.

#12 ·
Have any of you guys ever fished off of a mini pontoon boat (10-12')?
I have lots of experience and access to all of the materials and equipment to build an aluminum pontoon. I have been thinking about starting a winter project building one.
I need some feedback from experienced guys that have bow fished from flat bottoms and pontoons both and what would be the disadvantages of a pontoon? I know that the larger ones can be hard to control in the wind but having a simple design that is already raised off of the water with lots of room to walk around on looks good to me, especially if I can build it cheaper than buying another type of starter boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.