2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Best Wahoo Bait?

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Striker Tackle 
#1 ·
I want to go to the Flower Gardens this winter and wondering the best baits to pull. I have some of the old blue and Chrome Mylures from a while back but have been out of the game for a while. We just got a 30' Rampage. I need a weather window. Wanted to go this past weekend but the boat isnt quite ready for an overnighter.

#2 ·
Everyone has their favorites but a good rule of thumb for me is to figure out if the fish are feeding on the surface or down deep (use your sounder) . If the fish are on the surface, islanders with ballyhoo will work great. If they are deeper, stretch 30s or braid marauders work very well. If they are even deeper, run any of these on a downrigger. Pull an assortment of colors to figure out the flavor of the day. Good luck!

#12 ·
When I am trolling, I speed up till the islander comes to the surface then back down to keep it just under the surface. Every now n then I drop it to neutral and count to 20 then back to the rpm I was trolling at to make um zip toward the surface again. This will entice a strike my islanders are heavy brass heads so they sink when doing this

Muraders troll as fast as you can while they stay swimming in the water. You will see them jump out of the water when you go to fast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.