2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1000 lb giant caught on 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special

10K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  fishingtwo 
#1 ·
I am in Prince Edward Island, Canada for giant fishing.

I fought a giant with 450g/Shimano Tiagra 50W for a while, but I had to give the rod to mate George because I had cramps on my legs. George finally brought 1000 lb giant to the boat. The total fighting time was one hour. We didn't measure the fish, but 1000 mark is pretty close because the fish is definitely the biggest one I've seen in P.E.I. except Dennis Braid's 1100 - 1200 lb tuna.

See less See more
#7 ·
650 lb landed with 4'8" custom 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special in 30 minutes

Labor Day was the last day of fishing in PEI.
I wanted to land a giant with PE10 reel, but the attempt was failed due to unexpected line breakage. So I decided to use 4'8" custom 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special with Shimano Tiagra 50W on which Capt Tony spooled new line for me.

It didn't take long to hear line creaming.
Giant made a long run, but I could gain line relatively easy with 50 lb drag compared to other fights this time. Fish made a few long run, but didn't fight really hard.
I knew it was not a monster.
The fighting time was less than 30 minutes
when mate Brad got the leader and pulled the giant to the boat.
I estimated at 600 lb, but Capt Tony said it could be 650 lb - 700 lbs. It looked pretty small after sawing 800 - 100 lbs giant. :)

The short rod showed stiffness and backbone even tuna was circling under the boat.
However I was nervous during the fight because I know the aluminum reel seat can give a problem. While thin, parabolic Black Hole rod can be bent under the real seat under heavy pressure and aluminum reel seat prevent the rod from bending further. Fortunately the custom rod with aluminum reel seat survived this time even on 50 plus lb drag.

8" was cut from the tip of 450g Black Hole Cow Special for the custom rod to make it stiffer.

I am going to cut about 8" from the tip of 7'Black Hole Cow Special to see the action for giant on my next trip to P.E.I. in two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.