Painting - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
predator22
Registered Users-pm+

predator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
Texasflag4 Painting

It can't be this difficult to paint the bow of my boat with Interlux Polyurethane Paint?

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I need to prep the surface, temp. to paint in, coats, etc....

I was given some advice and after using it, my paint has not cured completely and I can peel it off the fiberglass with my fingernail.

I am pretty sure I am going to have to go back and now sand off the coat I just put down.

Thanks!
predator22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Argo
Registered Users-pm+

Argo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to Pirate
Are you putting it on raw glass? Did you use primer? Did you use any sort of chemical bonding matterial if you did put it on raw glass? I would suggest to call interlux tech support and ask them to guide you, they are pretty helpfull with that kind of stuff. As for temp, I would think mid 60 to mid 80s with low humidity. Definately not under mid 60's though and you would only not want to do it in high temps cause it drys too fast to get to the second coat. If it is cold and humid it will take days to dry, that is why they put them in a baking chamber when they are done painting professionally. Use some big halogen lamps to get some heat on it or something like that. A very useful website for this stuff is www.classicmako.com in the projects forum.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
predator22
Registered Users-pm+

predator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosunpredator22 has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
I put it on raw glass. I did not use a primer because the yahoo that sold the paint to me swore up and down that as long as it was on a clean surface it would be fine.

Another issue I have is that the temp I started painting in was fine. However, that night a cold front came in and dropped the temp to the mid 30's.

I am sure between no primer and the temp this is why I am having the problem.

Ahhhh!!!! There is a lot of sanding in my future.
predator22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
boatpaint
Registered Users-pm+

boatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Riggerboatpaint has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Interlux

Next time......

Go to the Interlux web site and get the data sheet for the product

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

Find the product, go to the product page, and data sheets are at the bottom. Plenty of info on prep needed, dry times and conditions, etc. They have an excellent boat painting guide as well. Not sure which product you applied, but putting it over unpreped glass is most likely your problem.
boatpaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
Argo
Registered Users-pm+

Argo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to Pirate
There are different ways to put on paint for gel coats and for fiberglass. They all include primer or at least a chemical bonding agent to help paint bond to the gelcoat, or others to help it bond to fiberglass. That is what interlux told me when I called them a while back anyhow.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
Snagged
Crabby Old Man

Snagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by predator22
I put it on raw glass. I did not use a primer because the yahoo that sold the paint to me swore up and down that as long as it was on a clean surface it would be fine.

Another issue I have is that the temp I started painting in was fine. However, that night a cold front came in and dropped the temp to the mid 30's.

I am sure between no primer and the temp this is why I am having the problem.

Ahhhh!!!! There is a lot of sanding in my future.
Try a pressure cleaner to remove the current paint. Without primer it will often just peel off under a high pressure wash.
Snagged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 07:25 AM   #7
CHunter
CantRe Member

CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)CHunter has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagged
Try a pressure cleaner to remove the current paint. Without primer it will often just peel off under a high pressure wash.
Snagged is right, at this point you'll spend less time blasting it off than you will trying to sand it. Pressure washer with a little heat should blow that stuff right off, then you can come back and sand the areas that the washer didn't get.

Your hull has to be extremely clean in order for the paint to stick and it wouldn't hurt to hit it with either sandpaper or paint prep. Then you might think about primer. Go by the instructions on the particular stuff your using.
CHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Snagged
Crabby Old Man

Snagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to Pirate
As far as I'm concerned paint doesn't stick to anything without primer, unless you don't want it too.

Ninety five percent of a good pait job is preperation.
Snagged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message