2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Flounder gigging

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  c hook 
#1 ·
Passed about 100 beds, big *** female beds last night. Missed them, got there too late. Get out there at sunset today if you can, gig your limit and go home.
I understand louisiana doesnt have these **** no gigging in november rules, I'm thinking about getting a license.
Anyone have a spot with some sandy shallow flats on the Louisiana side that I can wade into? Doesnt even need to be a flounder hole, just somewhere to start. I've got a canoe, but otherwise limited to being on foot

#2 ·
It’s a different world once you cross the Sabine. No such thing in SW Louisiana as a sandy flat unless your on the beach somewhere. Soft sticky mud practically everywhere.

Sure there are places where it’s possible to wade, but your not going to find sandy flat bottom.

We used to trudge miles with lanterns to gig 5 flounder, if we were lucky.

Can you wade and gig flounder on Big Lake - a few places are possible but you need a boat to get to them. Same for Sabine Lake on the LA side. Very few places with shallow water near the shore in either system.

You could go to Sabine Pass, launch on the LA side, paddle your canoe down the ship channel and explore the LA bank if adventurous. AND If your brave enough to paddle a canoe with tankers cruising by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.