Mulch - the do's and don'ts - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Wink Mulch - the do's and don'ts

So we will all be putting out mulch very soon.

I wanted to touch base and give you a few pointers

Mulching should be done after planting is completed.
Acceptable mulches include shredded hardwood bark, pine needles, coarse compost, pecan shells, and shredded cypress bark. Shredded native cedar is the best of all.
Mulch should be at least 2 deep on top of planting beds, and deeper around larger plants.
Mulching helps hold moisture in the beds, controls weeds, and buffers soil temperature. It also enriches the soil as it decomposes.

What not to do

Don't use colored mulch
Why ?
read this
http://www.natureswayresources.com/n...m_medium=email

Try to buy the right type of mulch-

TIP- here pretty soon the biggest mulch yard "Living Earth Technology" has a one day sale- for something like $12 a cubic yard - a full truck load

What I have found is this mulch is not ready for your yard as it has not aged long enough

Here is what to do - BTW I learned this from a former blogger with the Chronicle, Brenda Beust Smith

As mulch decomposes it adds valuable nutrients to the soil. But its decomposition processes require nitrogen, which it temporarily draws out of the soil. True the decomposing mulch returns this nitrogen back to the soil. But the temporary deficit can be traumatic to plant roots.
Take newspaper and put down first. It will not only retard weeds, it also keeps the mulch from pulling nitrogen out of the soil. Buying mulch from a reputable dealer you can trust is very important, and you do get what you pay for.
Still-too-ripe mulch will gradually decompose anyway, but it's not such a traumatic event for your plants.
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
chumy
Registered Users-pm+

chumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Piratechumy has been promoted to Pirate
What is your thought on live oak leaves around maters, etc in the garden. Some say the leaves are acidic? I always have an abundance of those type leaves for the garden this time of year. Provides great ground cover for weeds, and holds in moisture.
chumy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Part Timer
Registered Users-pm+

Part Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to Pirate
Good tips thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumy View Post
What is your thought on live oak leaves around maters, etc in the garden. Some say the leaves are acidic? I always have an abundance of those type leaves for the garden this time of year. Provides great ground cover for weeds, and holds in moisture.
I would have no issue using it .... it's natural, and would break down over time ....

I would prefer to mix it in a compost pile for a little time to help break down the leaves and the gras would add nitrogen to the plant itself.

Kind of like a course compost- but would be balanced with Nitgorgn:carbon
Grass:Leaves
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

I called Living Earth about their spring sale they usually do this time of year for Mulch.

The mgr, said they will likly do it the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in April.

This is a killer deal!!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Part Timer
Registered Users-pm+

Part Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to PiratePart Timer has been promoted to Pirate
Dont know if any of yall are in the humble area but in atascocita there is a yard called cheaper than dirt mulch. There mulch is only $20/yard.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message