.300 Win Build - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
AWLTX18
Registered Users-pm+

AWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
.300 Win Build

Hello, I am looking at taking my Rem 700 action out of my 7mag and have a gun Smith upgrade barrel and do a few other things. I was looking for recommendations for barrel mfg, type, length, twist etc.

The rifle that I am taking this action from has a bell and Carlson m40 stock.

I was thinking about keeping this for the new build along with the trigger that has had work done on it.

I plan to use this rifle for hunting but like to shoot long range out to 1000 yards for fun.

A buddy recommended the following barrel Mfg.
-Hart
-Douglass
-Shilen

The M40 B&C says it is for heavy barrel.

Buddy also said it would be good to build around a Hornady ELD bullet.

I would like to get 1/2” groups at 100 yards.

This will be topped with a Burris xtr II.

Thanks in advance for your input.
AWLTX18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
AWLTX18
Registered Users-pm+

AWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAWLTX18 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I forgot to mention. If anyone is wanting to sell a custom rifle in .300 win mag I would be interested to take a look. Not looking to spend $4000 but if I could take one off someone’s hands for the right deal I may do that.
AWLTX18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
jetcycles
just another FNG!!!

jetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Pirate
What profile or diameter is the current barrel? What profile barrel would you like? I ask this because a bull barrel precision rifle can be a chore to carry in the field depending on your hunting style, and more importantly, your current stock may fit a varmint/sendero profile barrel but may not fit a true bull barrel. Who do you want to perform the work? Roberts Precision gets the nod from a lot of forum members ( https://rprifles.com/ ) but a forum search will turn up a lot more suggestions depending on your side of town and how far you're willing to travel. I'd call them and ask for recommendations first. I personally like Shilen stainless select match barrels, but my experiences are not as varied as some other members may be. Do you EVER plan to add a suppressor or brake? If so, order the barrel threaded to avoid the expense down the road. There are many fans of the Hornady ELD's, myself included, but there are a lot of variables that go into 1/2 MOA so be aware of that up front.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
sea sick
Make blood !!!

sea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Pirate
If you don't have a after market trigger like a jewel or timney, get one. That's first.

Barrel.. those are some good ones mentioned.

I was in your shoes as well, I ended up buying a custom rifle. It has a Proof Research carbon fiber/threaded barrel. I do use a suppressor on it.

It shoots less that 1/2moa at 100 with 2 different off the shelf loads.
sea sick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 PM   #5
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
If it’s just a bench gun, check out hart or bartlein. But there are too many other good ones to name. I think hart will true your action up and barrel for you. If you haven’t already you’ll want an aftermarket trigger. They are easy to install. Bed or have a Smith bed the action. Many barrel makers offer a sendero profile. Might be a good starting place. Get it threaded even if you don’t have a suppressor. You never know when you may want one!

But if it’s a carry around hunt gun look at proof research
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 06:34 AM   #6
mrsh978
Play Deep

mrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Pirate
My latest builds have been with Douglas barrels. Hart has had some quality control problems. Stock -HS precision mainly because of the aluminum bedding block . All the 300s are 24" hunting rifles and shoot well under 1/2" groups - 180 accubonds. Timney triggers
mrsh978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
slowshot18
Registered Users-pm+

slowshot18 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Is there anything currently wrong with your 7 mag?
The reason I’m asking is because the 7 mag is a good round for hunting and going out to 1k yards. It may be best to throw a new trigger in the gun and either find someone that reloads or get into reloading yourself.
I’m a big fan of 300 wm as I own one myself.
A friend helped me with doing a load development on my factory Remington 700 300 winmag. It shrunk the groups down to 1/4 MOA at 100 yards once we got the correct load, along with a timely trigger and HS stock. Before the trigger, stock, and load development, I was sitting at 2” groups at 100 yards.
A little work can go a long ways. Once the barrel is burned out then you could always go the 300 wm route.
slowshot18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
huntmaster58
Registered Users-pm+

huntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Piratehuntmaster58 has been promoted to Pirate
Kreiger or Bartlien only for barrels. Look at the long shooting match wines, they only use these two
huntmaster58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster58 View Post
Kreiger or Bartlien only for barrels. Look at the long shooting match wines, they only use these two
Brux and benchmark are common as well and have their share of wins.
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
B&C
Registered Users-pm+

B&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to Pirate
Brux and Bartlein are very popular in the benchrest world. 1/2" should be no problem with any of the brands listed. My most accurate rifle has a Krieger barrel. I'm building 6.5 wsm with a Bartlein barrel based on SG Precision's recommendation.
B&C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message