Weatherby .460 Magnum - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
When I shot the 416 it was a duplication of an Africa thing. You hang a kerosene lantern out at night yards away in the dark. Stand offhand and try and shoot the light out. Apparently this is a ritual in Africa after killing some animal.Besides being hard on the shooter its also bad on the lantern. And no I have never been to Africa. Also I love my 7mm-08
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #12
TranTheMan
Registered Users-pm+

TranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to Pirate
Like this?

TranTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #13
roninrus1
Registered Users-pm+

roninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
In the early 70's I worked at a gunshop named 'Glenn Slades' at the Scott st exit and I-45 south while going to college.
Bought a rem 700 BDL from Slades in 71 or 72. Still have it and the receipt. $119 including tax. Dang thing still shoots sub-moa after a couple of thousand rounds (at minimum) of hot handloads thru it.
roninrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #14
Wado
Registered Users-pm+

Wado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to Pirate

I have one live round in my ammo collection I got from a friend of mine. He has a bunch of them but the rifle that went with them either burned up in a fire or was lost and then found later in such a state it couldn't be shot again. I will have to ask him what really happened. Maybe it kicked the snot out of him and he threw it off of a mountain. I have heard besides the fact they will bruise your body they may also detach retinas, something to think about.
Attached Images

Wado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #15
Trouthunter
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate

Trouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to Pirate
Capstick wrote about a doctor friend of his who shot a Cape Buffalo like 10 times with the .460 Weatherby Mag...the buff wouldn't die and all shots hit where they should have. Wrote that the doctor was bleeding from the nose and stuff from the recoil and suffered badly.

Let's just hope I don't have another lapse of memory on the damned thing.

TH
Old 07-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #16
Cynoscion
El Cazador de Venados Gigantes

Cynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to Pirate
Hey Martin, I just looked it up and it looks like you win! That seems to be the hardest recoiling bolt rifle made. Probably not the best contest to take top prize in.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
Cynoscion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
In the early 70's I worked at a gunshop named 'Glenn Slades' at the Scott st exit and I-45 south while going to college. After closing one night, three of us went upstairs with a high dollar, engraved 460 Wby from the shelf ... loaded and shot it at the gunsmith's check range.
When the dust cleared, there was a hole about 4" wide through a double row of railroad ties, sand and the back cinderblock wall of the store. To this day, I will never know where those three 500gr bullets went into the 5th Ward....... nothing on the news.

I actually don't remember the recoil but it kicked up so much dust that you couldn't see for 10 minutes. The muzzle blast was amazing and of course nobody knew why there was so much dust in the store the next day.
Yes, I remember that store well. Great story. Not just 1 shot, but 3! Now we know what broke the utility pole at U of H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynoscion View Post
Hey Martin, I just looked it up and it looks like you win! That seems to be the hardest recoiling bolt rifle made. Probably not the best contest to take top prize in.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
Wow! I figured the recoil would be bad, but didn't know it would be that bad. That table is interesting.

Last edited by Whitebassfisher; 07-21-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #18
Cynoscion
El Cazador de Venados Gigantes

Cynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranTheMan View Post
That video is hilarious!
Cynoscion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #19
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
Saeed's 577 t-rex..
kweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #20
sylvan
Registered Users-pm+

sylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Pirate
I know we are not supposed to sell anything here but it goes with this thread.

I have a 505 Gibbs bolt gun if anyone is interested in getting beat up more than the 460 Wby

2Cool member "Bird" almost bought it ....... but it really scared you -didn't it Bird?

Be truthful now )))
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message