Double rifle recoil reduction? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Cynoscion
El Cazador de Venados Gigantes

Cynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to Pirate
Double rifle recoil reduction?

Does anyone know of a breaking system or any other means to tame the recoil of a double rifle? I have a client going on safari who wants a nice double in .470NE but he is a small framed man and is concerned about the recoil. He's not so much worried about the felt recoil while hunting but is concerned more about the recoil he is going to feel during his practice shooting while preparing for his safari.
Cynoscion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
spurgersalty
Solidarity for what????

spurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Piratespurgersalty has been promoted to Pirate
That must be around 65-80 ft/lbs of recoil?
This would be permanent but, have him ask a gunsmith if porting it is an option.
spurgersalty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Viking48
Registered Users-pm+

Viking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to PirateViking48 has been promoted to Pirate
Porting would be my first choice but a cheap extra would be a Limbsaver pad. Put one on my .308 and the difference is really noticeable. Certainly not a cure-all but a good addition to other things you can do
Viking48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Bobby Miller
Professional Low Baller and Cheapskate

Bobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to PirateBobby Miller has been promoted to Pirate
He may just have to suck it up. They are called "elephant guns" for a reason.
Bobby Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
mrsh978
Play Deep

mrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Pirate
Off the bench with my 416 I use a 25 lb bag of lead shot. For his gun , get a paychmer decelerator put on - they really help .
mrsh978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
SpottedAg
Registered Users-pm+

SpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to PirateSpottedAg has been promoted to Pirate
How about a bump buster with one of the pass mentioned? (I would use kick eez) + porting
SpottedAg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
muney pit
Registered Users-pm+

muney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Piratemuney pit has been promoted to Pirate
I knew a guy who had one of those double guns and had the stock drilled under the recoil pad drilled and filled with lead. I saw the pics.Never shot the gun but he said it helped.
muney pit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
Charles Helm
Registered Users-pm+

Charles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to Pirate
Krieghoff or one of the other makers sold a braked one years ago. Ugly as sin. You can shoot reduced load for practice if you want.

I would not add weight if it is balanced properly now. Make sure it has a decent pad.

Some people put a mercury tube or kick-stop in. Again make sure it still balances well.

http://www.eurooptic.com/blaser-kick...l-reducer.aspx
http://www.100straight.com/products/deadmule.htm
Charles Helm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Cynoscion
El Cazador de Venados Gigantes

Cynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the info. I knew about Krieghoff's use of the BreakO mercury system. The problem with porting or big "sissy" pads is it kind of takes away from the classic double rifle appearance. This may sound strange but it is one of his concerns.

Has anyone shot a big double with and without the mercury system? If so, how does it effect felt recoil in your opinion?
Cynoscion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Friendswoodmatt
All work n no play

Friendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to PirateFriendswoodmatt has been promoted to Pirate
Its was noticeable for me-- I shot a 450 3/4 nitro with and without-- adds weight too
for bench practice i shot it with a 25 bag of shot between me and the gun without the mercury.
I never shot the gun prone, but I did shoot it standing. Brings blood on both ends, but its much more tolerable with the mercury-- others said they still felt it hurt. they can also put some cast onto the stock
Friendswoodmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message