Mandatory Use of Kill Switches - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #41
tcbayman
Registered Users-pm+

tcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Sorry I somehow missed this reply directed at me. This is not the gov protecting us from ourselves such as seatbelts and helmets (I agree with you on both), this is the gov protecting other people from the person not wearing it. Whether it's common or not, a runaway boat with no operator can do untold damage to other people and other people's property. I think we all think of ourselves out in the gulf or bay and think it's stupid to make it a law, but think about a holiday weekend at the boat ramp or a typical ski lake for example and might see things a little differently.

Is this a legitimate issue? Or is it a “what if” type of issue? It is absolutely relevant whether this is common or not. We can put “what if” laws into action until we are all wrapped in bubble wrap if we aren’t careful.
tcbayman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #42
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
Well, considering people other than the boat operator have been hurt and killed when the boats runs without an operator I'd say it's legitimate. Are you going to try to argue that nobody has ever been hurt in this manner? Probably not so...
Hey I can drive perfectly fine at .09 but should it be legal? No.
Of course everybody here already wears their kill switch so it won't affect any of us right?
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #43
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
My motor runs without a kill switch, so guess this new law will cost me a new control unit.
SSST is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #44
chwoodall
Registered Users-pm+

chwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasislandboy View Post
I started to install wireless kill switches three weeks ago. Its paying off for all the guys like me that fish around the jetty and need to walk around the boat while its in gear or just running.
Anything written anywhere on the legality of this? Been looking at them myself recently. I don't see a problem with it but that's above my pay grade.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
chwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #45
Rockfish2
Registered Users-pm+

Rockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Sorry I somehow missed this reply directed at me. This is not the gov protecting us from ourselves such as seatbelts and helmets (I agree with you on both), this is the gov protecting other people from the person not wearing it. Whether it's common or not, a runaway boat with no operator can do untold damage to other people and other people's property. I think we all think of ourselves out in the gulf or bay and think it's stupid to make it a law, but think about a holiday weekend at the boat ramp or a typical ski lake for example and might see things a little differently.
I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, I’d just like to see the data to see if it supports the need to have this law to protect others. I also get your point about the ramp, and I never have my kill switch on when I’m basically idling on/off the trailer or tying up and really don’t want to because of this new law. But I probably will because I bet that’s when 99% of tickets for this law will be written, since that when LEO’s will be able to easily witness violations. The time it’s especially risky to not have your kill switch on is when there’s a heightened risk of you getting knocked out of your boat while underway due to rough water, etc., which IMHO is not normally around the ramp. Tickets probably won’t be written very often for people who violate the law in those riskier situations, since it will be much more difficult for the LEO’s to see it. I think this law sounds good to a lot of people but will be enforced in a way that makes it ridiculous.
Rockfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #46
hb
Registered Users-pm+

hb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Pirate
Agreed rockfish2, not a fan of big brother....
hb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #47
tcbayman
Registered Users-pm+

tcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Well, considering people other than the boat operator have been hurt and killed when the boats runs without an operator I'd say it's legitimate. Are you going to try to argue that nobody has ever been hurt in this manner? Probably not so...
Hey I can drive perfectly fine at .09 but should it be legal? No.
Of course everybody here already wears their kill switch so it won't affect any of us right?
How many though? Are we going to outlaw boating during lightning? Super low tide? Or how about when the wind blows more than 20mph? Way more people have been hurt when it’s blowing out than from someone not wearing a kill switch. Where does it stop? We can’t protect everyone from everything. To me this is an isolated tragic issue. We don’t need to shotgun everyone.
tcbayman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #48
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
Rockfish I agree around the ramp, kill switch isn't always practical while docking and such so I'm curious to see how they handle it there and agree that's where most of the exposure will be too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbayman View Post
How many though? Are we going to outlaw boating during lightning? Super low tide? Or how about when the wind blows more than 20mph? Way more people have been hurt when it’s blowing out than from someone not wearing a kill switch. Where does it stop? We can’t protect everyone from everything. To me this is an isolated tragic issue. We don’t need to shotgun everyone.
Those all fall under government protecting people from themselves, they chose to be out there. Some of you don't seem to understand the difference between that and a 16 year old in a kayak in the ICW minding his own business when a runaway boat runs him over. The law is not to protect the moron who doesn't wear the kill switch, it's to protect others who would suffer from his laziness.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #49
texasislandboy
Snook Guide SPI

texasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by chwoodall View Post
Anything written anywhere on the legality of this? Been looking at them myself recently. I don't see a problem with it but that's above my pay grade.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Shoot me a message. I have 4 instock right now.
texasislandboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #50
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Fishy

Quote:
Rockfish I agree around the ramp, kill switch isn't always practical while docking and such so I'm curious to see how they handle it there and agree that's where most of the exposure will be too.

Those all fall under government protecting people from themselves, they chose to be out there. Some of you don't seem to understand the difference between that and a 16 year old in a kayak in the ICW minding his own business when a runaway boat runs him over. The law is not to protect the moron who doesn't wear the kill switch, it's to protect others who would suffer from his laziness.
More kayakers ran over in low light/foggy conditions then anything else. You going to support a law to limit fishing hours to only daylight hours with 1 mile Vis? Accidents at boat ramps usually involved poor use of throttle, the person is still in the boat when they are running over ****. Kill switch will not change any of this. Still going to happen.

Enough with new laws that just make more people law breakers for no reason. Enforce the ones we have, stop the nanny state. Government can not protect you or anyone else from accidents.

If you really want to save lives, 1000s of them each year. Then you would support a mandatory speed limit of a maximum of 40mph state wide on all highways. Kill switches will not make a difference, just a revenue generator pushed by lobbyist from insurance companies.

Last edited by Jolly Roger; 06-17-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Jolly Roger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message