Favorite Peppers - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Favorite Peppers

My Fresnos are producing. Different kind of heat than a jalapeño, heat with sweet. Put in sets mid March so they are a fast producer getting to red fruit already.

Cajun Belles have some immature peppers. Can’t wait to try those. Other bell peppers have lots of immature fruit.

The Jimmy Nardellos are slowly growing, just getting to the flower stage. Same for the Corno di Toro types. I did the Jimmy Nardellos, the Jalapenos and the Shishito from seed and was late getting those going and the cold weather slowed them down.

What are some of your favorite peppers to grow? How do you like to prepare them?
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
tec
Registered Users-pm+

tec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Pirate
I like jalapeños and grow several plants every year. Sometimes they are nuclear hot but my favorites are regular hot. I've planted poblanos for the first time. We really like creamy soup made with them.
tec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Peppers are among the easiest plants to grow in the home garden.

I've tried several different varieties but have found over the years that plants with fruit at or above the Habenaros on the Scoville scale are too hot for handling safely.

My current preference is bell peppers, Corno di toro (cows horn), jalapeno, and a very few habeneros.

They all freeze easily and are used in just about everything we eat. Production will be continuous all year until a good freeze takes them out next Dec. or so.

Production really seems to ramp up in the fall and that's when we normally get ours for freezing.
Attached Images

Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Mattsfishin
Registered Users-pm+

Mattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to Pirate
I am growing bell and poblano so I can grill them or stuff them with dirty rice , Kevin Belton recipe for the dirty rice.
Mattsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Serrano peppers are about at the top of the heat profile that I typically like. What do y'all do with the Habaneros? They are way hotter than a Serrano. I like salsa and pico with Serrano peppers. Anyone ever grow Serrano peppers?
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
From about late May to Sept we have a Pico salsa almost every day made from fresh garden ingredients including habeneros.

The Roma tomatoes, 1015 onions, cukes, bells, jalapenos, and just a little habenero make for great fresh sause all from the garden. Sometimes we add sweet corn fresh picked.

We don't like much cilantro and use it sparingly, if at all, and also add avocado occasionally for variety but those along with salt, pepper, and limes are the only things not from the garden.

I can eat a big bowl of the stuff almost every day...absolutely love it!
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
Rubberback
Raiser of BOB White Quail

Rubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to Pirate
Japs! Got 10 jap plants. I can em. But I like most peppers.
Rubberback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
scotth891
Registered Users-pm+

scotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerscotth891 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I’ve got the usual jalapeños, cayenne, and Serrano this year.

I added shishito, ghost, habanero, spicy mexi bell, and orange sweet pepper or something like that.

I’m looking forward to trying the shishito. Also making some fermented hot sauce.

My 2 birdseyes are coming along from overwintering as well.
scotth891 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
Sugars Pop
Registered Users-pm+

Sugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to Pirate
Calif. bells, bananas, hatch chilis, japs and pablano. Last two in the garden the hill and sweets by the house
Sugars Pop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #10
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
This year I'll have started from seed: Jalapeno, Anaheim, Sweet Yum Yums, Aji Dulce #2, Aji Mango, and Aji Rico.

The Yum Yums are small, but sweeter than regular Bells. Thick walled, no heat, as well. Very productive. You will get more volume of ripe fruit from these than you will a standard Bell.

Anaheim have less heat than Jalapenos, medium thick walls,and are great on sandwiches and hot dogs/brats in a bun. Good in Salsa and for stuffing too.

The 3 Aji peppers are all shaped, and taste a lot, like Habanero peppers. However, each has a slightly different fruityness. All are thin walled like Habaneros, but all of them have less heat than a Jalapeno. These are still pretty uncommon in the U.S. but are widely used in South America and some Caribbean countries. They make awesome sauces, ingredient in cooking, salsas, and even eating fresh out of the garden. I can't even eat a Jalapeno like that! My guess it will be several years before these will be available as started plants. Ya gotta buy the seeds and start them. Worth the effort if you are starting other plants as well.

Last edited by Dick Hanks; 05-02-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Dick Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message