Batson Med Action wading rod. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Rod building forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #1
hog
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time

hog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Pirate
Batson Med Action wading rod.

this is the 3rd of a set of 5.

hog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
PBC
Registered Users-pm+

PBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Interesting, there some really cool color combos working there. So what is all the stuff between the guides all the way up the blank? From my experience seems like it's really going to diminish the natural flex/action of the rod. Is this something you do regularly and if so what effect have you noticed on the action
PBC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
hog

hog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC View Post
Interesting, there some really cool color combos working there. So what is all the stuff between the guides all the way up the blank? From my experience seems like it's really going to diminish the natural flex/action of the rod. Is this something you do regularly and if so what effect have you noticed on the action
PBC, thanks for asking your questions
here goes......

1. what is all the stuff between the guides all the way up the blank?

answer--- Those are exact as I can cut pieces also of the snake hide. Most all are about 1" long and my estimate of about 3/8 to 1/4 wide. Very tedious work for my big fingers lol

2. Is this something you do regularly and if so what effect have you noticed on the action

answer--- yes, ive done quite a few of them by request for Custom special orders. The very first one was a idea simply using a rodskinz, but, i didnt like the way it looked, and a friend had a rattler skin he said I could have. I built that one as a donation rod for a fund at the request of my son. I didnt even attend. I was having calls to make others before the fundraiser even started.

Some folks do fancy marbles, chevrons, diamonds, flags type threadwork, inlays, weaves, rod skinz, Jig skinz, heat shrink, Stickers, decals, cord wraps, braids, Abalone wraps, Corn Cob- Colored Pencil- Cactus Resined or Exotic wood lathe turned Grips etc...,
My thing is snake skins that I personally tan or re-tan , and hopefully soon to try lizards lol.

I have to answer your question about the action in a couple 3 ways.,
First and foremost, the rods are built as everyone hopefully does to be great fishing rods... Thats the #1 priority..... But, no reason it cant be a eye catcher too ...

By putting small pieces of skins up the pole, after their epoxy'd, it does add just a bit of weight compared to a rod built without. But, really not much. Of the snake rods Ive seen that other folks make, they normally only put skins just above the fore grip for a few inches.

As far as casting difference compared to a similar blank, instead of having a fast action it would probably be considered now a Med Fast. Ive found, Backbone/power doesnt change, but if it does, I would say it would change to maybe half a click Up... such as a Med Light Power to a Medium. I like a rod with a bit more back bone personally anyway.

Knowing all this, I make a few changes to offset things.
1. first, the weight. its a bit heavier, so I need to cut away some weight. So its not a 7' rod, its shorter, cutting away the butt end of the rod

2. to off set the weight to balance, the reel seat is moved up a slight bit more than a normal "plain jane" rod for balance. When the reel is mounted and a 1/4oz lead head on the tip top, it feels great IMO.

3. The rods are 100% Static Load Position Tested for proper number of guides and Proper Position, no matter if its the same blank over n over each time. Ive found ALL are different in some way during the build. As you know Im sure. doing a Load test for placement and number of guides rather than going by a chart, allows the builder to bring out the best in each blank as it was built to perform by the manufacture. I think it protects the Rod also from stress points IMO.

So, Ive found by doing all this. The casting feels great for a morning of wade fishing, and the power delivered during a hook set and fighting a good fish seems to be great.

They are not for everyone, but, for those that do, They've been pleased (so far)

PS: I had a neighbor, put a Lidd'ed 5 gallon bucket, with a LIVE Water Moccasin at my front door yesterday morning (8/15/20) for me to tan that his dog bayed up by his back door in the middle of the night-- true story .

Have a GoouD'n.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #4
PBC
Registered Users-pm+

PBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of RiggerPBC has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Yeah I've worked with rattlesnake skin before....that small of diameter would probably be a real pain. Getting the scales to curve tight.... I wouldn't have even tried lol.

I can definitely see it slowing down the blank action a lot. But nothing that can't be fished with once you get used to how it feels and reacts. And yes sir I static test every rod I build. You are correct, the exact same blank will test out different.
PBC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
therustyhook2020
Registered Users-pm+

therustyhook2020 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
fantsy!!!
therustyhook2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
fishinguy
Registered Users-pm+

fishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Pirate
That looks like a showcase piece.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #7
hog

Thank you fellas, Im learn'n and try'n lol
I have a long ways to go to get where I wanna get lol...

heres the one that followed the rat I just finished

Old 09-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #8
BlackDotFishing
Registered Users-pm+

BlackDotFishing is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
what do you charge for one of these rods?
BlackDotFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message