Fishing Belize - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #11
Golden
Registered Users-pm+

Golden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to PirateGolden has been promoted to Pirate
We went in late August last year. Hot spot for big Snook is across the road from the Belize City International airport. You can arrange for your luggage/gear to be off loaded in BC and they will store it for you in lockable lockers. They have charters that will pick you up (walk across the street) and fish you for 1/2 day or full day. You'll have to coordinate your air flights to San Pedro so that you have time to fish. Buddy of mine a few years ago scored two 20lb.+ snook and larger tarpon in less that three hours while still in site of the airport. We had a long lay over but were not aware of this opportunity until we talked with a friendly travel airport worker who said they could arrange the whole thing for us. Not sure who the guide services are but I know the big snook are there. Google up KT Diaries show from Belize City maybe two years ago.

As far as the bonefish, the largest ones we caught were found right along the front beach in downtown San Pedro. And they weren't shy either. They would hit so hard I had to go up to 20 lb tippet after breaking off two. We all used fly gear and caught some good bones right there off the piers and bars. At night go to same place under the lights and toss at the local tarpon. You wont have a hard time finding them.

One tourist/fisher we met at the airport got a double slam two days in a row fishing Long Cay with conventional tackle. I'll say this, it was not hard finding fish where ever we went. If you arrange your own guides you'll save a pile...we did. And yes they worked hard to put us on some good fish. We all, four of us, caught permit too. Go figure! We mostly fished up north towards the Mexico border in reserve area. It was really good! GOOD LUCK!
Golden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #12
Team Kryan
Registered Users-pm+

Team Kryan is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Awesome info. Thanks
Team Kryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #13
Team Kryan
Registered Users-pm+

Team Kryan is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttt View Post
We were there in November. Fish the leeward side of the mangrove islands if possible, there are plenty south of Ambergris. Get a guide, they are cheap, worth it and you're supporting local. Plus they will catch more fish and lobster, plus grill it on the beach with local flavor, which is an amazing experience.
I plan to hire a guide but I will be there multiple days and I want to do some fishing on my own.
Team Kryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #14
ccg
Registered Users-pm+

ccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirateccg has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
We went in late August last year. Hot spot for big Snook is across the road from the Belize City International airport. You can arrange for your luggage/gear to be off loaded in BC and they will store it for you in lockable lockers. They have charters that will pick you up (walk across the street) and fish you for 1/2 day or full day. You'll have to coordinate your air flights to San Pedro so that you have time to fish. Buddy of mine a few years ago scored two 20lb.+ snook and larger tarpon in less that three hours while still in site of the airport. We had a long lay over but were not aware of this opportunity until we talked with a friendly travel airport worker who said they could arrange the whole thing for us. Not sure who the guide services are but I know the big snook are there. Google up KT Diaries show from Belize City maybe two years ago.

As far as the bonefish, the largest ones we caught were found right along the front beach in downtown San Pedro. And they weren't shy either. They would hit so hard I had to go up to 20 lb tippet after breaking off two. We all used fly gear and caught some good bones right there off the piers and bars. At night go to same place under the lights and toss at the local tarpon. You wont have a hard time finding them.

One tourist/fisher we met at the airport got a double slam two days in a row fishing Long Cay with conventional tackle. I'll say this, it was not hard finding fish where ever we went. If you arrange your own guides you'll save a pile...we did. And yes they worked hard to put us on some good fish. We all, four of us, caught permit too. Go figure! We mostly fished up north towards the Mexico border in reserve area. It was really good! GOOD LUCK!
Pretty sure Iā€™m the one you were talking to at the airport. Small world. If so, you made any trips back to Ireland šŸ˜‚
ccg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #15
taylormade820
Registered Users-pm+

taylormade820 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I am going to the exact spot in April as well. tagging this for later.. thanks for the info
taylormade820 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message